Game resolution...

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Tallin
Peasant Status

Game resolution...

#1 Post by Tallin » Fri May 22, 2009 11:47 pm

First off, great job on all three of the remakes. Particularly on QfG2, since that's my favourite Sierra series and it's just beautifully redone.

Anyway, my problem is that I'm playing your games on a widescreen TV, and though my graphics card will automatically scale the resolution to the proper aspect ratio, it recognizes 320x200 as a 16:10 resolution. Which it is if you assume square pixels. With old Sierra games, it didn't matter because there was no such thing as widescreen back then on computers, so everything was assumed to be 4:3. Now I can use DOSBox for older Sierra games, which knows that 320x200 was intended to be a 4:3 resolution, and scales it to that. I can't do the same thing with your games, but I was wondering if you knew of any way to do this with the setup program or any other way. I can set the force letterbox resolution, but then it places black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, and I'm just left with a smaller 16:10 picture. It's streched the same, just smaller.

Any help?

I could be wrong in assuming the game is designed for a 4:3 picture, but I don't think I am...

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Game resolution...

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat May 23, 2009 1:00 am

It is designed for 4:3 aspect ratio. As you pointed out, pixels weren't considered square in the 320x200 days of gaming. The letterbox version is for 4:3 aspect ratio LCD monitors that can't display 320x200 resolutions properly (for instance, my LCD monitor displays 320x200 too far to the left so you're missing part of the picture on the left and there's a black column on the right. And the picture is stretched and blurred horrible). It instead displays it at 320x240 and puts 20-pixel high black bars on the top and bottom so that they can display it. AGS doesn't currently have (as far as I know) a function in the setup program to take into account widescreen monitors and display the game in proper 4:3 aspect ratio. Since more and more people are getting widescreen monitors nowadays AGS should really have an option in the setup to have a proper 4:3 aspect ratio setting for widescreen displays.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by papste » Sat May 23, 2009 10:03 am

These posts might provide some solutions. Whether it will work or not depends on your graphics card and your monitor. The posts are mostly about experimenting with the available filters but towards the end they also provide graphic card and monitor adjustments that might do the trick.

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=13336

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=13331

Tallin
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Tallin » Sun May 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks guys. I had actually found those threads before posting. Unfortunately, I have an ATI card, and there's no option in Catalyst to ignore low res. Anyway, I do have an option to get it to run 4:3, it's just rather annoying, since I have to change the maintain aspect ratio option in Catalyst, then tell my TV that it's a 4:3 picture. Not too bad, I just like things set up so they're done automatically.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun May 24, 2009 7:57 pm

I agree. I also have an ATI card. I've had so many problems with both my ATI cards that I'm absolutely fed up with them. My next card will be nVidia and I'm never looking back.