QfGII Trojan Horse Problem

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

BloodscorN
Peasant Status

QfGII Trojan Horse Problem

#1 Post by BloodscorN » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:40 am

First off let me start by saying the remake is fantastic thus far. Very involved, and very excellent. :)

Unfortunately, I've run into a problem. My Virus Scanner began giving me error problems, stating that the executable (Qfg2vga.exe) was operating a Trojan Horse by the name of BackDoor.Hupigon5.IZM. Now Vista refuses to allow the program to run (stating that I do not have the proper access, despite having admin status).

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is there a fix that will allow me to actually play this game? I would love to get through this, assuming that it is a freak occurrence and not an actual attempt at disseminating my hard drive. :)

I run Vista SP2 (getting ready to download SP3 to see if it will help), AVG Free 8.5. I downloaded the file directly from you guys. Just trying to figure out whats going on.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: QfGII Trojan Horse Problem

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:22 am

Where did you download the game from? And can you tell me which virus scanner is reporting this?

In your situation, I would backup my savegame files, unistall the game and then make sure that you redownload it from our own site at www.AGDInteractive.com. Reinstall it, recopy your backed-up savegames back into the appropriate folder, and resume playing. See if that solves your problem.

Mordavia
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Mordavia » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:46 pm

I had that as well. Sorry I just wrote a new post about the same thing:D I dont remember from what site i downloaded all i know is i downloaded QFG2VGA at release date and from the ADGI website. But I have purchased Al Emmo and the virus was attached to that game as well.

genram
Peasant Status

#4 Post by genram » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 pm

I to am having this issue i personally believe its a false positive...

i downloaded the game from the official website

i use AVG antivirus might be just their problem O_o

Windows xp

Mordavia
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Mordavia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 am

i tried to reinstall QFG2VGA on my computer and that virus warning still pops up and it will NOT allow me to play the game, any suggestions??

Mordavia
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Mordavia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:17 am

oh and the same happens for AL EMMO as well. :(

anstinus
Peasant Status

#7 Post by anstinus » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:43 am

This must be a false positive from AVG 8.5 because mine detected the same thing today, and AVG was just updated. I sent it to virustotal.com and 0 of the scanners reported it was infected. I have had this game installed for the past few months, so I believe it is clean.

I would sent the file to AVG as a false positive, but that feature has never worked for me.

Developers, you might want to contact AVG directly and send them samples of Al Emmo and QFG2.

Thanks.

BloodscorN
Peasant Status

#8 Post by BloodscorN » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:16 am

I also believe this to be the case (in ref to the false positive). In order to get it to run with your anti-virus software on, try including the folder containing the game in your exceptions list (found in the VirusShield tab in AVG).

Kinda strange, have discussed with some friends. Could just be a compiler notification gone wrong, or a registry warning. Will send to AVG and see what the deal is.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#9 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Is the trojan/virus being detected in the game exe files (i.e. after being installed) or in the actual installer exes?

We have indeed had confirmed false positive (false alarm) reports with the ClickTeam installer which we used for Al Emmo and the AGDI games. From memory, one of these false reports was the "IamBigBrother" keylogger being reported in Al Emmo's installer by a spyware program called PestPatrol, however this was confirmed as a false positive by the developers.

All of our game's installer files are as clean as a whistle -- unless we have a rogue mirror owner attaching viruses to them, but I highly doubt that's the case. This is more than likely a false positive result by overzealous anti-spyware software. To bypass it, perhaps your anti-spyware program has an exceptions list where you can tell it to ignore certain exes. Adding the game, winsetup, and installer exes to this list should allow you to continue playing.

If you guys hear back from these spyware vendors, please let us know what they say! It would also be good if you could request them to put these game/installer .exes on their whitelists too, if the trojans are confirmed as false positives.

anstinus
Peasant Status

#10 Post by anstinus » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:59 pm

It was not the installer program, but the actual game executable that was flagged.

Mordavia
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Mordavia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:03 pm

I just reinstalled both QFG2VGA and Al Emmo and both run fine. No problems.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#12 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:04 pm

It might also be useful to try downloading some other AGS games from here:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php

...to see if running them results in the same issue.

anstinus
Peasant Status

#13 Post by anstinus » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:46 am

After getting the latest update of AVG Free 8.5, I was able to Restore QFG2VGA.EXE and scan it. Now no trojan is detected. Success!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#14 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Good to hear, thanks for updating us!

richard.kissel
Peasant Status

#15 Post by richard.kissel » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 am

I received this after a scan from CounterSpy program. I've downloaded the game from the AGDI website, however I've been playing it since 28-Jum (the day I ordered your "Alamo" game).

D:\Program Files\AGD Interactive\Quest For Glory II\Uninstall.exe
Risk name: BehavesLike.Win32.Malware (v)
Source: Scanner
Risk level: High
Risk category: Trojan

So I guess I can never uninstall the game (why would anyone want to)? But I sadly deleted the offending program.
But seeing as there are a few of these popping up with different spyware/antivirus programs...

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#16 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:11 pm

It's a false positive. Does Counterspy allow you to run exe files which it alleges are trojans? If so, then you can still uninstall the game by running the uninstall.exe file.

If the file got quarantined or deleted from your system, you could always re-install the game over your current version (and into the same folder) in order to get the uninstall.exe file back again.

It would also be a good idea to submit the file to Counterspy as a false positive, so that their team can verify this and make sure that the file doesn't get detected as a trojan in their future update definitions.