Unable to change save directory??

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ps3sucks
Peasant Status

Unable to change save directory??

#1 Post by ps3sucks » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:18 pm

I know in previous versions of the I and II remake I could change where I wanted to save my games. But now in the recent versions, it just creates a folder in "My Documents" where the game creates the save files. Is there any way i can change this to a place I want?... I really dont feel like having a new folder in my documents if i dont have to :\

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Unable to change save directory??

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:33 pm

The older versions of the King's Quest I and II remakes didn't allow you to change the directory, they simply saved all savegame files directly into the actual game directory.

Since the release of Windows Vista, saving files into the game directory is no longer a recommended approach as it creates conflicts with the admin permissions under Vista installations (i.e. regarding which logged-on users can see which savegame files).

The way it works now is that each Windows user with their own account can have their own set of savegames located under their My Documents or My Saved Games folder. This is the way pretty much all new Windows games work, so it's really just following suite.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#3 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:26 pm

If I recall correctly, AGS won't allow you to change from the default because the creator of the engine didn't want people to be able to access/change files outside of the game's directory. If the engine could, someone could use it to write malacious software and screw up someone's system...

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#4 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 am

but it still just puts everything in the game folder if you're running windows xp doesn't it? so does the engine itself account for which platform it's running on?