Problem with saves

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Abe_23
Peasant Status

Problem with saves

#1 Post by Abe_23 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:42 am

Hi guys! I've just downloaded this great games with wishing to get out of this world and into Daventry... But I've come across with one but big problem. I cannot save my game. To be more pricise, I CAN save the game - I see the menu, I type in the name of the savegame - but I CANNOT restore game - because there are no savegames in the directory. I've read through all the forum, all the topics about this and similar problems. I tried to unhidden directories and files, I tried to install the game right in "My documents", I tried to copy savefile (it's name agssave.001.KQISave - maybe, it is important and you can help me with that) in the game directory. It's all useless.

I've got Windows XP, not Vista, but the same Vista problem. And if there is a method to fix it in Vista (there are some topics on the forum). there is no cure for my problem.

Oh, and I've got Russian Windows (cause I'm Russian, you know ;) ). Maybe, it's important somehow, I don't know. Maybe, it's impossible to place russian text in the adress of the save file? This adress is E:\Documents and Settings\1\Мои документы\My Saved Games\King's Quest I\agssave.001.KQISav.

Please, guys, somebody - HELP me, I really don't know what to do to fix this problem.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Problem with saves

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:30 am

Are you logging onto Windows XP with the same user account that you used to save the files?

Each user has their own savegame files, and logging on as a different user will make the save game directory empty again.

Abe_23
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Abe_23 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:25 am

No, I didn't use another login. It's all the same. Tried to play in Black Cauldron remake - there are saves! It's ok. However, they got different extention - just 001, 002, etc. Tried to rename the KQ save file with that extention, but it didn't work. Seems to me, I won't play in this great game. I don't know, maybe thare is some methods to execute this game in DOS, ah? Maybe, in that case there will be no troubles...

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:38 am

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the game into a different location on your hard drive. Renaming the saves won't work and AGS games can't be ran in DOS mode.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:26 am

There will be a minor updated version (v4.1) released at some point which addresses a couple of small issues and crashes. In that version, the game will also go back to using its own directory to store savegame files, meaning that all users will have access to the same savgame files again. It just seems neater and cleaner that way.

However, this version won't be released until AGS 3.2 is finalized.

Abe_23
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Abe_23 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks for your pieces of advice. However, change of game installing directory fix nothing - I tried to install the game in My documents, in my folder with other games, in the default folder - it's all useful.

What about version 4.1 - it's good, of course, but don't want to wait for so long. And the main reason: I think, this problem will occur if I'll try to play in other AGDI games - Quest for Glory II and King's Quest II.

I want to know how to fix this problem. Maybe you can find the solving of my trouble? I hope so.

I've just played Black Cauldron remake on the same engine. There is no trouble with saving and restoring game.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:48 pm

That's because the Black Cauldron remake was created with AGS 2.72, which didn't have the same restrictions. Quest for Glory II was also compiled with AGS 2.72, so it won't have this problem either.

I don't know how to solve your specific problem, since I have never used (and don't have access to) the Russian version of Windows XP. Both King's Quest I and II will be recompiled to change the savegame directory back to the main game folder.

However, if this is indeed a bug with AGS and the Russian version of Windows XP, it might be a good idea to post it on the AGS Technical forum, so that it can be looked into. The link is here:

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?board=2.0

Abe_23
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Abe_23 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:02 am

Thanks for your replies. I'll try to post where you advised. And I'll looking forward for your recompiled remakes of King's Quest. Could you give me a hope and say when it approximately will be done? :)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#9 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:44 am

Abe_23 wrote:Thanks for your replies. I'll try to post where you advised. And I'll looking forward for your recompiled remakes of King's Quest. Could you give me a hope and say when it approximately will be done? :)
Coming Soon :hat

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:40 am

I'd suggest joining the AGD Interactive Newsletter, and that way you'll know whenever new versions are released. You can add your email address to receive the newsletter here:

http://www.agdinteractive.com/developme ... etter.html

Abe_23
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Abe_23 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:15 am

Thanks, I'll use this link. :D