game without sound

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

moxicity
Peasant Status

game without sound

#1 Post by moxicity » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi! I hope this isn't a very common topic. Anyway. My problems are pretty ire-making! Preamble: I had the remake, and other QFG titles (except the 5th) installed on my old computer, and I just yanked the folders off it onto this new one. When tried playing again, I ran into unexpected trouble!

I just finished QFG1 and started up the remake. Then, to my immense happiness: with the default choices, the game tells me it is unable to initiliaze my midi hardware. I tried various combinations of options, with different errors. Also, the options for "use digital music pack" and "use voice pack" are greyed out; the boxes are ticked, but since it's greyed out, I can't change it anway.

I got it to work with Directsound (Hardware mixer) and Win32 Midi Mapper for sound and music, respectively, but oh happy day, I HAVE NO SOUND. Also, the speed slider didn't work for some reason? I sped up the game, but movement was still as if the slider was way down. When I quit and restarted the game, the movement returned to normal, but slowed down later again while I was walking on the streets in Shapeir.

I uninstalled, re-downloaded the installer and reinstalled. Still same problems. What should I do? I am completely miffed by games refusing to cooperate recently and this is just the last straw. I dunno if it is relevant at all, but I'm using a Lenovo S12 netbook with ION and an admittedly crappy Atom processor (it runs Sims 3, but it's still a netbook). Probably not relevant though, since my last lappy was a complete hunk of moldy cheese and QFG2: The Remake ran on it just fine ):

I'm at a loss! Any ideas?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: game without sound

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Hmmm the game doesn't actually HAVE MIDI music so the MIDI mapper mess shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like either a corrupted install or a corrupted download. I'd suggest reinstalling/redownloading but you already tried that. The boxes being greyed out sounds like the music.vox and other files aren't included in the game folder. I don't know. What operating system are you using? If Vista/7 are you running the game with administrative rights?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:23 am

The game runs fine on my Asus netbook with an Atom processor, so that shouldn't be related to the problem.

We'll be releasing a v2.0 version of QFG2VGA soon, so it might be advisable to wait for that build. You can join the AGDI newsletter or Follow us on Twitter if you want to be notified by e-mail when the new version is released.

moxicity
Peasant Status

#4 Post by moxicity » Sat May 01, 2010 6:36 am

Thanks for the fast replies!

Yes, I'm using Win7, and I ran it with admin rights. Also, I checked, and the music.vox file IS there and I'm still baffled. Very sad-making, this is ): I guess I will wait for the 2.0 version then! At least I have some hope. It's incredibly weird though, since I've ran it fine before, and NOW... Augh. Probably nothing I can do. Thanks anyway!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat May 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Did you try launching the game directly rather than through the game launcher?

moxicity
Peasant Status

#6 Post by moxicity » Wed May 26, 2010 12:45 pm

SO: first off, the problem has been resolved. Just thought I'd let you guys know that responded. It's pretty incredible, but turns out that it was because I had "Dolby Headphones" switched on in the Realtek HD Audio Manager. What the hell, right?

Recently, I got Puzzlebots (which is an awesome game, try it!), and I had the exact same problems (can't init audio hardware blabla). I then updated my nVidia and Realtek sound drivers with the help of DriverMax, but still had the same problems - so I looked at the Audio Manager and voila. Some kind of stupid headphone thingy, aauuughh! Unbelievable. I wonder why that was, but anyway, I can finally play QFG2 again and resume my series playthrough!!

YAY!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 am

Headphones enabled in the Realtek HD Audio Manage, eh? Just goes to show why some of these issues are notoriously hard to track down.

Will have to remember this as a possible solution to audio problems if it happens to anyone else in the future. Thanks for posting to let us know!

moxicity
Peasant Status

#8 Post by moxicity » Thu May 27, 2010 1:41 pm

And to reiterate: since I had the *same* problem when I tried to run Puzzlebots, might it be a problem with the AGS engine itself? I might be mistaken, but I believe Puzzlebots was made using AGS too, so... also, I don't know anything about game-making or AGS. Might be talkin' outta my butt here.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#9 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:28 pm

I'm not sure. Yes, Puzzlebots was also made with AGS, but this sounds more like a hardware quirk to me (or possibly a bug with RealTek's own software), than an actual bug in the game engine.