QFG2 Uninstaller deletes any data in the folder

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

dudezzz
Peasant Status

QFG2 Uninstaller deletes any data in the folder

#1 Post by dudezzz » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:23 pm

In my QFG2 VGA folder I created a subfolder labeled "Backups", where I stored certain save games. When I uninstalled the game, it not only deleted the files which the installer installed, but also this "Backups" folder, which I personally created. This is obviously not how an uninstaller should operate (a proper uninstaller should only delete files the installer created), and it was very disappointing to lose all those saves for absolutely no reason. Due to this I doubt I will be finishing this remake anytime soon, unfortunately. Please do not program your installer to blindly delete any files in a given folder.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: QFG2 Uninstaller deletes any data in the folder

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:52 pm

Sorry, that was a limitation of the installer we used.

The next version will use Inno Setup as the installer and won't delete directories unless they're empty. (Also, it will give a warning to manually back-up any save-game files you want to keep before the uninstaller removes them).

As a general rule, it's not a good idea to create your own directories inside the Program Files folders. Microsoft have also become a lot stricter about limiting that kind of thing in Vista and Windows 7.

Also, there are utilities you can download which can undelete files that you've already deleted from your system. I haven't tested any these, so I don't know how well such programs work. But check out a site like download.com and maybe you can recover them. Use these programs at your own risk though!