Mac os x 4.1 KQ2 App file flashes in dock, will not run

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

vickyjs
Peasant Status

Mac os x 4.1 KQ2 App file flashes in dock, will not run

#1 Post by vickyjs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:05 am

I have downloaded KQII onto my Mac OS X 4.1 system. The DMG installs 3 files - I can read the pdf manual and the readme file. When I click to run the Kings Quest2 App file, the KQ icon flashes in the dock and then disappears. I was using SOPHOS anti-virus software (free limited version) which I uninstalled but this did not fix the problem. I do have the firewall running and the stealth mode on, - again, tried with them off, but no luck. I am a novice Mac user, so perhaps there is something simple i can try? Otherwise, any suggestions? (And PS - stoked to find you guys and your games) - oh also, I saved a console log, that shows what happens when I start KQ2 but I don't fully understand it, or how to upload it here (or if that is appropriate) ... Thanks

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Mac os x 4.1 KQ2 App file flashes in dock, will not run

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:04 am

Check the Readme.txt file and ensure that your system meets the requirements. Most importantly, and Intel Core Processor CPU is necessary.

In order to play the game, you need to drag the King's Quest II Game Application to your application folder. Once the King's Quest II Remake has been installed, you can run the game by clicking on the King's Quest II Application in your application folder.

vickyjs
Peasant Status

#3 Post by vickyjs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks - i feel rather foolish to have missed such an elementary thing (was not enough ram).

sirkinght
Peasant Status

#4 Post by sirkinght » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 pm

I have a MacBook Pro 15"
Bought January 2010
8 GB ram
3 GHz Intel dual core processor
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M / 9600M GT dual graphics card
OSX version 10.6.4

I have downloaded and played and completed all 3 Kings Quest Games from AGD without any real issues.

AgDragon01
Peasant Status

#5 Post by AgDragon01 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:16 pm

I have the same problem as the OP with KQ I & 2.

I have OSX 10.4.11.

My computer meets all the requirements, accept the X11, which I cannot find.

Anyone have a link to where I can download it?

Thanks.

jtorrey
Peasant Status

#6 Post by jtorrey » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:36 pm

I am having the same issue. I downloaded the latest KQ1, KQ2, and KQ3 games from the web site last night. When opening any of the game applications, this issue (app icon flashed in dock and will not run) occurs.

These are the requirements:

- OS: Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger / Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard / Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
- Intel Core Processor CPU Required
- 1024 MB RAM
- nVidia 8xxx Series or AMD 3xxx or 4xxx Series Video Card recommended
- Apple's X11 must be installed
- Approximately 308 MB of Hard Drive Space required

Ok. I have a MacBook Air 11" (current generation) connected to a TB display. I have Mac OS X Lion, but I gather from the forums that other people are using Lion with no problem. I have the Intel chip, 4 GB of RAM, and X11 installed.

I am stuck. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Jason