Some Minor KQ2 Bugs and Oddities

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Firestorm_Mon_Dae
Peasant Status

Some Minor KQ2 Bugs and Oddities

#1 Post by Firestorm_Mon_Dae » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:25 am

During the underwater part of the game, I can hear the seagulls while underwater for some reason. I complete as much of the game as I can before going to the mermaid.

Also, version 2.0 of the game, in the library, there was a case. The case no longer exists, but one can still interact with it. It was a wooden case centrally located in the background picture.

The baby tree by the spring (bottom right of the Kolyma forest) does not seems to have the detailed textures that the rest of the background has.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Some Minor KQ2 Bugs and Oddities

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:05 am

What is the exact version number of the game? You'll be able to see this if you load the game, open the options menu, and then click on the "About" button (which looks like a question mark). V2.0 is quite old now. The latest version of King's Quest 2: Romancing the Stones is v3.1c.
Also, version 2.0 of the game, in the library, there was a case. The case no longer exists, but one can still interact with it. It was a wooden case centrally located in the background picture.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this one. But maybe you could replay the latest version from http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq2 ... nload.html to see if these problems still exist or not.

Firestorm_Mon_Dae
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Firestorm_Mon_Dae » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm playing version 3.1c. Anything I report is based on this version of the game. Sorry about the confusion.

If you do a comparison of the library in version 2.0 and the library in any version 3.0 or higher, you will see that there was a wooden chest of sorts in the library in version 2.0 that is no longer there in version 3.0. If you click the hand icon on the chest (in version 3.1c, the area where the chest was located) you will get the message:

"The librarian cases you closely, and you're unable to case the case. Better not touch it (just in case)."

If you click the eye icon on the area where the chest used to be, you get the message:

"A heavy wooden trunk sits near one of the bookcases."

The thing that stood out most prominently for me was that I could hear the seagulls from the beach while playing the underwater segment of the game. This applies to both 3.0 and all versions of 3.1. I don't remember it being present in version 2.0 or lower, but I don't have that version now.

The baby tree near the spring water doesn't seem to have the same detailed textures as the rest of the forest (any version 3.0 or higher). If you play it and go to the fresh water spring (the area where you get the fresh water for the pumpkins), you might notice that the baby tree seems to stand out from the rest of the background. I'm not sure what to make of this though.

Hopefully this clarifies everything. Again, sorry for the confusion.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:49 am

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarifications. I don't think we'll be releasing another version for these kinds of minor issues, but I'll add them to my list anyway, just so I'm aware of them.

The tree in that spring screen has always been like that, It's a separate object to make the walkbehind mask easier to handle for that object.

Firestorm_Mon_Dae
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Firestorm_Mon_Dae » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:28 am

I can't say that I expect another release. For that matter, I didn't expect the version 3.1 release. But this way, at least you know about the issues.

In further experimenting with the sound bug, I have found that approaching the mermaid from the beach makes it so that you will hear the seagulls and the beach waves for the entire underwater portion of the game. However, approaching the mermaid directly from the direction of Grandma's cottage helped a great deal.

If I approached the mermaid from Grandma's cottage, the sound during the mermaid portion was still a bit buggy. I was no longer able to hear the seagulls. Instead, I heard the bird sound from the forest. Approaching from Grandma's cottage made it so that the moment I got to the mermaid city (King Neptune), the sound was as it should be for the underwater segment. Approaching from Grandma's cottage is a good way to work around the bug. I should also point out that I gave the mermaid the shell comb the first time I encountered her (which was also subsequently the last time).

No matter what direction I approached from, I was able to hear the birds from the forest while on the beach with the mermaid. I was also able to hear the birds from the forest when the mermaid pulled Graham underwater. No matter which direction I approached the mermaid from, the forest bird sounds disappeared the moment Graham reached the mermaid city (King Neptune). You still get the seagulls if you approach the mermaid from the beach.
The tree in that spring screen has always been like that, It's a separate object to make the walkbehind mask easier to handle for that object.
As far as the tree is concerned, I figured that was the case. This only supports my belief that the baby tree was not given a graphical update from version 2.0, and was left as is. Of course, I have not been able to properly confirm this since I no longer have version 2.0 of the game, and I could be mistaken.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:04 am

Ah, that's a bit of a nuisance. It always is when a bug like this is found right after we've released what's supposed to be the final version! When the AGS engine changed the way its sound system works, a few bugs crept in like this where ambient sounds weren't getting stopped where they used to. We beta tested it and thought we got all instances, but sometimes there are conditional bugs that only happen under certain circumstances, like you've just described. Oh well, let's just say Graham's sense of hearing has been enhanced by the magic while he's traveling underwater. ;)

Yeah, the spring tree has never been upgraded as far as I know. I think it's just that the edges are 'clean' and there is no anti-aliasing around the outside edges which help it it blend into the background behind it. That's what gives it the differing visual effect.