Small square for Quest for Glory II

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ArthurWalden
Peasant Status

Small square for Quest for Glory II

#1 Post by ArthurWalden » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:29 pm

When I start Quest for Glory II, the screen is displayed as a small square in the middle of a black surrounding edges. (I had the same problem with Al Emmo, but I can't recall how I fixed that and I think this may be different.)

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Small square for Quest for Glory II

#2 Post by DrJones » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Try different filters on the configuration utility included with the game. There are some x2 and x3 filters that might be handy. :)

ArthurWalden
Peasant Status

#3 Post by ArthurWalden » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:18 pm

No, nothing like that worked.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#4 Post by DrJones » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Hmmm, that's strange. I remember I also had something like that happening to me once, but I don't remember how I fixed it, either. Maybe try to run the executable directly, without passing through the launcher (that menu that lets you see the manual or access the configuration)?

Edit: The FAQ says the following about troubles with the 320x200 resolution.

Q) When I try running the game in 320x200 mode, my screen is misaligned. Adjusting my monitor controls does not seem to fix this.

A) Certain newer video cards or screens may not be able to display 320x200 resolution correctly. Try launching the winsetup.exe program and checking the box next to "Force alternate letterbox resolution" to run the game in 320x240 instead. If this doesn't work, try selecting the "2x nearest-neighbour" graphics filter from the drop-down box in the setup program.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:10 am

I think you pasted the wrong question from the FAQ, Dr. Jones. :)
Q) When I run the game in 320x200 resolution at full screen mode, the game screen appears in a 640x400-sized rectangular window in the very middle of the monitor. The outer edges are completely black.

A) On rare occasions some video cards will display the game like this. You can usually bypass the issue by opening the setup program and changing the resolution to 320x240 mode by clicking the "Force alternate letterbox resolution" checkbox. Alternatively, selecting the "2x nearest-neighbour" filter may help too.
Sounds like you have already done that, though. The other suggestions are to try running the setup program and using the Direct3D driver instead (though, this is not compatible with very old video cards). And also update your video card drivers to the latest version as well as Direct X.

If you have a newer model video card, it may allow you set custom resolutions. 640x400 and 640x480 might not be supported out-of-the-box, and you may need to add them manually, in order to get the game to run with the 2x Nearest Neighbour filter.

Running the game in a window and using the 4x Nearest neighbor filter can also simulate full-screen mode quite well, but the game will run quite a bit slower as a result.

ArthurWalden
Peasant Status

#6 Post by ArthurWalden » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Thank you for your help.

However, I just recovered my main computer from the shop and the game (so far) runs fine on this one.

Soda Jerk
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Soda Jerk » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:07 am

On the updated versions they took out the option to set the base resolution at 640 x 400, I don't know why, because now you can't set the resolution to fit a modern monitor even with the highest filters, so you can only ever play in a small black box. It's frustrating and I'm almost considering looking for the older versions of the remakes now.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:30 am

This is something the creator of AGS implemented. Unfortunately, we have no control over it.

Did you try all of the suggestions I mentioned in my above post, including updating your video card drivers, updating DirectX, and changing the game's graphics driver/filters in the setup program?

What model is your video card?