capture mouse cursor option?

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

katzbalger
Peasant Status

capture mouse cursor option?

#1 Post by katzbalger » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:25 pm

I've been playing through the King's Quest games for the first time in years thanks to AGD, and I've had a bit of a problem with the cursor. I run a dual monitor setup, and when I start one of the games, it's a 50/50 chance on whether or not the mouse cursor will remain captive in the game screen. I have been unable to figure out any variables affecting this, as sometimes a simple close and restart of the game will prove enough to rectify the situation, but most of the time it does not. Needless to say, this problem, when it crops up, makes the games virtually unplayable - any movement near the edge of the screen will shoot a cursor over into my second monitor, and any click thereafter will stop the game, minimize it to the taskbar and promptly make me go URRRGHH!

Has anyone else had this problem? I know I can't be the only dual monitor user playing King's Quest. Is there a command to capture mouse cursor like in some other games? Anything I can do besides close the game, restart and cross my fingers? This has been the only nag that I've had in these otherwise incredible reiterations.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: capture mouse cursor option?

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:00 pm

I experience this problem too. I suspect that it has to do with the way the AGS engine (which we used to make the games) functions with the display driver, as it's likely that AGS was never designed with dual monitor set-ups in mind.

The best place to report this issue is on the AGS Technical forum here:

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?board=2.0

The engine has recently been made open-source, so perhaps posting about this issue will bring it to wider attention, allowing it to be fixed.