KQ2 + KQ3 sound and graphics errors

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

CanadianSniper
Peasant Status

KQ2 + KQ3 sound and graphics errors

#1 Post by CanadianSniper » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:13 pm

First off, great job on these games. Really fun to relive the old adventure games. Now to report two issues I'm having.

The most apparent one is that the sound skips during scene changes and some dialogue. Example, in KQ3 if I walk into the study during a house creaking noise, it'll skipback half a second on that noise which sounds like it's repeating itself. It becomes really jarring in both KQ2 and KQ3 since there's lots of times this can happen. This only happens if I run the game in DirectShow 5. Playing the game in Direct3D 9 remedies this issue but that brings me to my next error.

When playing the game in Direct3D 9 a few scenes (that I've noticed) have missing corners in the graphics. This is a little weird to explain but during the introduction scene with the telescope, there are squares showing the scenary at all 4 corners of the screen, as well as the scope circle in the middle. This also shows during the scene where Manannan walks up the cliff during the first cliff scene as well as when you walk in that same cliff area in game. Where there's a black border you can clearly see Alex and Manannan 's sprite moving through the border.

I searched the forums looking for these issues but I haven't found them. I've updated all my audio and video drivers then double checked if the errors still occured before making this forum post.
  • Here are some of my specs:
  • Windows 7 64bit
  • Intel Core i7 Q740 @ 1.73GHz
  • 6GB RAM
  • GeForce GTX 460M
I'd really like this issue to be fixed and I'm willing to help you guys in figuring these bugs out.

edit1: I'm playing with default settings other than switching the graphics option explained above. I play in fullscreen mode. The sound error doesn't occur if I play in windowed mode but that sucks for me because my resolution is 1920x1080

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: KQ2 + KQ3 sound and graphics errors

#2 Post by DrJones » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:59 pm

I reported a simmilar issue with direct3d and my old ATI graphics cards. Unfortunately, they were unable to solve the problem as it was an AGS bug. Try to configure your graphic card to set full quality and test if this fixes the square issue, as it's most likely a surface rounding error and low quality settings tend to create these kind of artifacts.

Otherwise, you'll have to play with Direct Draw 5, which is what I did to solve the issue.

The sound issue might not be related with Direct Draw, but with a different AGS engine issue when updating projects with an older version and using .ogg files or something like that. I hadn't heard about that issue before, but I hope it's not as annoying as to divert from the fun of playing this game. :)

CanadianSniper
Peasant Status

Re: KQ2 + KQ3 sound and graphics errors

#3 Post by CanadianSniper » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:34 pm

It seems that if I uncheck, "Side borders on widescreen monitors", I don't get the graphics bug when using Direct3D 9. Kinda odd since I my laptop is widescreen but w/e that works :P Now my only issue with using Direct3D 9 fullscreen is that I can't alt tab out or get back in to the game if I was forced out with, say, a pop-up. However I can live with that since the game doesn't take very long to startup :)