MAC OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

astrogirl
Peasant Status

MAC OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion

#1 Post by astrogirl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:46 am

Hi, I was just wondering if these lovely games ran on Mac OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion. The system requirements for each game only list up to Snow Leopard 10.6.

There seems to be an old thread from a year ago with links to a version of the game for 10.7 Lion and the comment was made that the files would be updated on the download pages, but the comment is a year old now, and Lion/Mountain Lion isn't mentioned under the system requirements so.... curious minds need to know! :D

edit: I tried the KQ1 link in the post that said they were Lion compatible in the hopes they would work in ML too, but encountered errors. First the icon just jumped in the dock and I had to force quit. Then I tried again, and it just sits in the dock and does nothing. So I am guessing it is not Mountain Lion ready. :(

pele10
Peasant Status

Re: MAC OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion

#2 Post by pele10 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Yeah, I agree in that I think it's not compatible with Mountain Lion yet. Similar thing happened with the OX 10.7 update but as you noted astrogirl, a patch was released.

Can anyone answer if a patch to support 10.8 will be made available?

Pseudokram
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Pseudokram » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 pm

On one of the other threads mentioning Mountain Lion a user named "Lunacaela" says that they got the revised games (the ones that were released for Lion) to work on 10.8
So either that was a typo or the user got them to work.

I cant get the games to work on my system however. I'm running 10.8.2 and the icons just sit in the dock and do nothing.

Hopefully there will be some info soon

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Raistlin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:01 am

This was ported to the Mac using Wineskin. I was able to get it to work by just using the latest version of the wrapper. I'd be happy to upload and provide a link to the game, but I don't know what AGDInteractive's policy is on this. If someone from the dev team or whatnot wants to comment, it might help the Mac users out a bit. :)

Edit: Actually I've created a new wrapper for all three King's Quests, as none of them worked with Mountain Lion as they were. I just need to permission to share now. 8o

Pseudokram
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Pseudokram » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:50 am

Raistlin wrote:This was ported to the Mac using Wineskin. I was able to get it to work by just using the latest version of the wrapper. I'd be happy to upload and provide a link to the game, but I don't know what AGDInteractive's policy is on this. If someone from the dev team or whatnot wants to comment, it might help the Mac users out a bit. :)

Edit: Actually I've created a new wrapper for all three King's Quests, as none of them worked with Mountain Lion as they were. I just need to permission to share now. 8o
Hey I know its in my interest to say, but I don't think AGDInteractive would mind as they are letting people download these games for free and also, someone else posted the updates for Lion last year without any issues.

It would be greatly appreciated by all us Mac users out there!

Is Wineskin something I can do on my own?

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Raistlin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Pseudokram wrote:
Raistlin wrote:This was ported to the Mac using Wineskin. I was able to get it to work by just using the latest version of the wrapper. I'd be happy to upload and provide a link to the game, but I don't know what AGDInteractive's policy is on this. If someone from the dev team or whatnot wants to comment, it might help the Mac users out a bit. :)

Hey I know its in my interest to say, but I don't think AGDInteractive would mind as they are letting people download these games for free and also, someone else posted the updates for Lion last year without any issues.

It would be greatly appreciated by all us Mac users out there!

Is Wineskin something I can do on my own?
Sure Wineskin is freely available for anyone to use.

Darth Malt
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Darth Malt » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:41 pm

After updating my Mac to OSX 10.9 Mavericks, I found King's Quest II to work nicely again, with no flickering - sweet! Now I can get back to finishing the game with my kids...

I have to confess I'm not sure what fixed things - perhaps the graphics driver got an update with the new OS... so if you can, update to Mavericks and see if your game works again or not!