Does your Install to Lion, Mt Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite fail

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Light Man
Peasant Status

Does your Install to Lion, Mt Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite fail

#1 Post by Light Man » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:37 am

Does your Install to Lion, Mt Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite fail?

1. Do you have a MAC? is the game not working for you?
2. Did you try to install and run the programs on Lon, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite or later MAC OS?

The installer for AGD games seems to be for OSX 10.4 10.5 and 10.6. Which means if you have a later operating system than Snow Leopard it might not work properly out of the box. The following steps will show you how to use DMG download from AGD and update the emulator WINE that is being used to run the program on the MAC, allowing the game to run. This process should work for any new MAC OS, now and in the future, as WINE is a separate program and has an updater built in to allow you to update the part that talks to the MAC OS to enable it to run windows program. (there are no native mac AGD apps, they are the windows versions running in WINE on MAC OSX)

The good news, it just requires an internet connection to fix.

Steps to get the DMG to work:
1. Download any AGD mac installer file (.DMG)
2. Extract the .APP program as you would normally do to install a MAC applicaiton
3. Right click on the .APP file
4. Click on “Show Package Contents”
A finder window should appear with a file called Wineskin.app (or wine.app) in the root directory
5. Double Click on the Wineskin.app
(or wine.app or what the emulator would be called)
6. A menu should appear giving you an “Advanced” button
(Install Software, Set Screen Options, and Quit are other options)
7. Click on “Advanced”
8. Click on the “Tools” menu option in the top center
(other menus should be “Configuration”, “Options” )
9. Under the Wrapper Tool sub heading there should be 2 buttons “Update Wrapper” and “Change Engine Used”
10. Click “Update Wrapper”
11. Click “OK” if it requires you to
At this point the wineskin program should show a new window and or close down after the updating has finished. This is ok just run wineskin again as in step 5.

The Wrapper for Wineskin/Wine should be updated now to the latest version.
As of 11/22/2014 that would be version

Repeat steps:
7. Click on “Advanced”
8. Click on the “Tools” menu option in the top center
Then:
12. Under Wrapper Tools, click “Change Engine Used”
A choose engine dialogue should appear with a list of engines, just choose the engine with the largest number next to it. (the latest should be the default option)
13. Click “OK”
Again the wineskin program should show a new window and or close down after the updating has finished.

The engine for Wineskin/Wine should be updated now to the latest version.
As of 11/22/2014 that would be version
WS9Wine1.7.29.

if the wineskin.app is not running repeat steps:
7. Click on “Advanced”
Then:
14. Click "Test Run" in the "Configuration" tab
This should cause the application to run like it normally would and allow it to be double clicked to run.
If it asks you something about log files you can just cancel that window and X out of the wineskin application.
The AGD game should now work in the latest version of MAC OS.

The .APP file should be self contained so you can then drag drop it into the Applications folder if you haven’t already.
Kings Quest II DMG as of 11/22/2014 uses Wineskin 2.5.8 and Engine WS9Wine1.5.23

-LightMan
I apologize if this solution was already posted. I just downloaded the games again today and they weren't working on Mavericks out of the box. And I did not see a sticky post with this solution.

Light Man
Peasant Status

Re: Does your Install to Lion, Mt Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite

#2 Post by Light Man » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:00 am

I will also say this, in Mavericks I have to:
1. Right click
2. Open
3. Open
(yes that is open twice)

To get around the "non app store certified" bug that pops up. Once I do that the program takes a long while to do its thing and then open. After that everything is fine. But I do notice a longer then average wait on load.

Also I get 2 icons that appear in my task bar. One that is for the Wine program, and the other should be the icon from the windows version of the AGD game. If only one icon is appearing and nothing else it is a good indication that WINE emulator is running but the actual program (like Kings Quest) either hasn't loaded yet, or is having issues loading.

Again:

Mac OS/X is running
Wine is runing on Mac OS/X to emulate a windows environment (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php)
Kings Quest is running on Wine as a windows 32 bit program. (or is it actually 16bit?)

This is similar to running VM-WARE and just having a WindowsXP or Win7 VM with the .EXE installed to windows. I actually recommend running VM-WARE (etc) as you can then run Kings Quest in a window as you would like to or send it to another monitor with ease.

-Light Man

Light Man
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Light Man » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:25 am

Power UP!

So because we are just running the windows executable on top of WINE in Mac OS, that means we can also run the settings program and run Kings Quest (etc) in a window!

Here is how to do it.

1. Right click the Kings's Quest I.app (or the .APP file you want like KQ2)
2. Double Click on the Wineskin.app
3. Click on “Advanced”

4.You should now see a path like:
/Program Files/King's Quest I/Kq1vga.exe

this works exactly like windows, so to run the configuration file we either click on the "Browse" button to the right of the path (/Program Files/King's Quest I/Kq1vga.exe) or simply type:

/Program Files/King's Quest I/winsetup.exe

5. Now click the "Test Run" like you did before to run the setup program. It looks like you can:
  • Run the program in a window
  • Set the resolution to: 320x200, 640x480, 960x600, 1280x800
  • Smooth scaled Sprites
  • 10,20,50,100MB for the Sprite cache
Advanced>>> option

Using these steps I have KQ1 running in Mavericks using this trick in a window with 1280x800 resolution, smooth scaled sprites, and 100MB cache for my sprites. It looks great! And now its behaving like it should by not taking up my whole screen. :rollin

After you are done tweaking the settings just change back the path to:
/Program Files/King's Quest I/Kq1vga.exe

And because WINE is working just like Windows XP would, I bet you could install other things into the .APP file that are useful for Kings Quest (etc) and it would work just fine.

-LightMan
Wine - just a little windows bubble inside of your MAC brain. Drink up!

jjmckinley
Peasant Status

#4 Post by jjmckinley » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks for posting this thread. I followed your steps, and the game worked...sort of. The only problem is the screen flashes. It looks like an absurdly unhelpful refresh rate of the screen or something. It's mostly unplayable in this state, because parts of the screen are invisible for long periods. Any ideas? If you could speak slowly and use big hand motions, that would help. I've tried to learn how to use Wineskin, but to no avail.

pomtown
Peasant Status

#5 Post by pomtown » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi, I'm having a similar issue to the above poster.

The setup window doesn't allow me to select the resolution - it's showing "Resolution: 320x200" with no options to change that.

From the setup screen, when I hit "save and run", I get the really choppy / flashy graphics.

However, if I uncheck "Run in a window instead of full-screen", the graphics are great - no choppiness at all. The only problem is that my window is really small - about 320x200, probably, with no way to increase or go full-screen.

Help? I already went through the steps to update the Wrapper and Engine as described in the thread above...

Thanks!

Turtleheart
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Turtleheart » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 am

Only two years late, I've had the same experience as pomtown but, after some fiddling, found the workaround below.

If you haven't already, download the current version of Wineskin Winery from http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-i ... =Downloads and put it in Applications (I put it in Utilities, as I thought that makes sense, but do what you like with it).

Open Wineskin Winery. Click the + button and then search or scroll down to find an engine with NoFlicker appended to the version number. Choose to install the highest-numbered of these. If you don't use Wine for anything other than AGD Interactive titles, you can delete any other engine by selecting it and clicking the − button. Now quit Wineskin Winery.

Follow Light Man's instructions above for updating the wrapper (you might need to do this bit more than once, but if you get a message telling you the wrapper is already up to date then it's done) and then changing the engine used. Change the engine to the NoFlicker one you downloaded earlier.

Either click Test Run to run the game now, or quit Wineskin and then open the application normally to enjoy full-screen play. It does still flicker a little compared to running the games windowed, but it's playable.

Also, to change the resolution in winsetup.exe (follow Light Man's instructions above for how to access this) you need to change the Graphics filter setting using the drop-down, and the resolution will change accordingly. Setting it to 4× gets me 1280 × 800 and, when in full-screen, the games play on my 16:10 monitor without windowboxing. They also look like they're slightly cut off on some edges, which doesn't make sense to me as my monitor, being 1440 × 900, has more pixels than 1280 × 800 in both dimensions. However, it seems to be the best option available for creating an immersive experience, as setting it to anything lower results in windowboxing.