kq1 crashes soon after game loads

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

drlight
Peasant Status

kq1 crashes soon after game loads

#1 Post by drlight » Tue May 31, 2005 5:00 am

hi, i tried downloading this game and playing it over a year ago, and am just now giving it another go, but the same problem that happened to me then is happening to me again! :X  

im going to try and be as specific as i can so that i can hopefully get this running, i would really like to play this game.

im running windows xp home edition, service pack 2, a radeon 9600 SE graphics card, an intel pentium 4 cpu 2.4GHz, with 1 GB of ram. my directx is version 9.0c.

basically, my problem is that i can load the game up just fine, make it through the tierra intro, and get to the main screen, and i can choose to play the game or watch the intro, but no matter which option i pick, anywhere from within 10 seconds to 5 minutes the game freezes on me, and the sound skips in a conitinuous loop.  it then gives me the "this program has encountered a fatal error and must shut down" but does not give me any more specifics.

ive tried running it in 640x400, in and out of a window, turning up the amount of alocated ram, and any number of combinations of those options and the others in the menu to no avail.  i have also tried setting my windows resolution to 800x600 and changeing all those options again, but that has not worked for me either!

so please, i beg of this forum, from one KQ fan to another, help me!

sincerely,
drlight