Assembling a team to create a Sierra like adventure game

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Wolfgang
Peasant Status

Assembling a team to create a Sierra like adventure game

#1 Post by Wolfgang » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:13 pm

The Working title so far is Quest for Glory: Beginnings

The game is based off of Wolfgang Abenteur and his adventures in his younger years, essentially showing how he earns the title of hero.

Other characters that i hope to involve are Schultz Meistersson, his loyal adventuring friend, (The Future Sheriff)

as well as Stefan Von Speilburg, whom is a Noble, but not yet a Baron, due to his Father whom still is in control..

Its going to be more an adventure game instead of the normal QFG stat type game where you gain strength pts etc, its more closely related to Kings Quest and Space Quest games with puzzles, a deep storyline and light humor.

What i need is a team of people who are willing to form together their talents and make this happen.

I will be needing a

Programmer - to create the game with all the coding and such

Artist - for the backgrounds, sprites, objects

Creative Writer - i will be needing a writer to help me piece together a story for people to enjoy

If you are interested in this idea, please post here or e-mail me at

Thank you for your time..
Last edited by Wolfgang on Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Broomie
The Enigma

#2 Post by Broomie » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:32 pm

This forum isn't a recruitment center, so this sort of post is not aloud.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:22 pm

Like Bromios said, these forums aren't here to get members for other people's teams. Not like I expect a lot of them to join up, seeing that you've shown people very little.

If you really want members, you'll need to show people that your project isn't a one-day fly, started on a whim. (because if it is, it can and will end on a whim as well) An idea isn't enough. Even without a writer, you should be able to come up with a raw plotline, a realm where the game takes place, some key places and key characters in there.

Wolfgang
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Wolfgang » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:54 am

This is called the Game Making Forum Right?

I am trying to make a game, so whats wrong with that?

I already have the plot in my mind, i am just looking for assistance on it.

Everything starts with an idea.

adeyke

#5 Post by adeyke » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:49 am

Everything starts with an idea.
And most things end with that idea.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#6 Post by Klytos » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:22 am

haha, I thought at first this was written by the "original" Wolfgang (whom I haven't seen around in a while either...)

Wolfgang, I don't think it's much of an issue asking for some help around here, I do it myself upon occasion. What you will find is that a sizeable group of people here are already involved in other projects and / or have rather busy lives to devote to another fan game.

You're going to need something more than just a couple of ideas in a post. They're good ideas, don't get me wrong. (Though on a personal note, making a QFG game without the RPG interface is probably not going to be very popular.) What you're basically asking for is a complete team to create your game. That's just not going to happen.

Come up with a design document for the game. For examples of these check out www.allowe.com, he's got some of his Larry and Pharkas design documents there. Once that's done, it's probably going to attract a lot more interest and a lot less crit's.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#7 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:43 am

Another thing... one artist for backgrounds, animations etc? Not much chance of that happening. That's 80% of the work.

The LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by The LucasFan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:35 am

Gronagor wrote:That's 80% of the work.
Heh, I hope for you that all the programmers, musicians and writers out there haven't read that.  ;)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Alias » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:16 pm

I've learnt from experience, you need more than just a intro of what your game is about, you need to show a design Document and some artwork.

El_Listo
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by El_Listo » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:01 pm

I can assist in taking the piss out of your work. Good luck finding people for your project, keep us informed.

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Oilers99 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:50 am

Look, I want to create a game pretty desperately as well. However, you aren't going anywhere just by having an idea, and then asking people to join. You have to be something significant to the team. I'm a writer, and even that barely qualifies as real work. :p  I am trying very hard to convince people to join my project (not on these forums, mind you) by putting together an impressive design document (11000+ words and counting). An idea is not enough. You have to be able to do something, and do it very well.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#12 Post by Da_elf » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:14 pm

not counting the fact that im already an artist and animator, i decided to pick up a copy of ags and learn it and have some fun before tackling anything big in which i would need help. by doing what im doing if i do decide i need help on anything ill already have a certain credibility to my name. a few people here have already started to recognise me even though i havent been a member here for too long. this is probably what you need to do. On the ags website you can find links to a few tutorial pages all about creating sierra style backgrounds. Have fun with your ideas. thats the most important thing. when you loose that passion then your lost. point of note here, i always saw that passion in the works of blacksky. its a shame what happened and i hope he gets back his passion. (even though there will always be an el_listo around to put in his bad comments and 1 liner messages)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#13 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:34 pm

You've certainly given the impression of an up and coming AGS game creater Da Elf!

What I still dont get about the black sky is that when you import the sprites into AGS say from the Desktop then those image files will still be on the desktop if would be rather silly to then delete them and not keep ahold of those sprites that you worked so hard/long on.