A Question of Style. . .

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

spacedcase
Peasant Status

A Question of Style. . .

#1 Post by spacedcase » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:25 pm

Hello there! I just acquired myself a Wacom tablet, and I'm finally ready to get started on something I've been aching to do for years; an adventure game.

I'm not here to recruit, or anything like that. I would just like an opinion, on dialogue in the game. It's going to be (best as I can define it), a space/sci-fi film noir comic mystery, in which you play an intergalactic detective.

I'm not sure which style of dialogue I prefer, because I like the LucasArts-esque option of choosing replies; however, I also like the idea of a Gabriel Knight I styled dialogue, going into another screen for "interrogation". Given the type of game I'd like to make, are there any opinions? Would it be too difficult or messy to combine them both, so there's a variety of dialogue options and reactions,  but with the close up on the conversation between the two?

Thank you in advance for your superior knowledge!  :D

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:25 pm

With AGS, it's possible to design your own GUI for any kind of style!  Check out www.bigbluecup.com/yabb - check out the technical forums, they have all KINDS of info there that may help suit ya!

Bt

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:25 pm

For detective... I say use the GB1 style. But that would require dialogue pics. Lucasarts-style requires a lot of sprite animations, although it's much easier.

But really it's up to you.

Have fun with the tablet.