Text or typing interface

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

jckatz
Peasant Status

Text or typing interface

#1 Post by jckatz » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:33 pm

I did a search for TYPING INTERFACE and got this error

SQL Error : 1062 Duplicate entry '2087753172' for key 1

So if this question has been asked, I apologize.

Are there any plans in the future to bring back the old TYPING INTERFACE?  If not that Voice Recognition is so advance (and open sourced) that it should be easy to replace the old text boxes with keyword recognition.  

I really do miss the old days, when one had to LOOK at TREE
you see a hole

Look in hole

you see a ring

get ring.

Now you just place your icon on the tree and grab the ring.  Its not as fun.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Alias » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:26 pm

Search Results for TYPING INTERFACE.

Glad I could help.

And it will be point and click not parse, if you're talking about the AGDI's Remakes that is.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:42 pm

That link won't work, Alias. It uses stored session data to display the results.
As for the error jckatz experienced, I'm guessing it was just a fluke. Try searching again.

To return to the topic, the typing interface was mainly abolished because it was often hard to phrase your commands correctly. A point-and-click interface prevents one from typing wrong commands for an hour, just because the damn game can't understand you.
It's also a lot easier to make the game, as you don't have to come up with a ton of responses for the wrong commands.

If you want a typing interface, people are still developing Z-machine games (using the engine from the old Infocom text adventures). It's not really the same, but it's the closest you'll get to a good typing interface these days.

As for voice recognition, it would have to be built into AGS for AGDI to be able to use it. I don't think Chris Jones has any plans to do that anytime soon.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by maestro » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:08 pm

If you're looking for some (amature-written) games with typing interfaces, check out The AGI Webring for a list of some typing games, including one that I wrote.

Bountice
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Bountice » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:49 am

If you like this kind of game visit our website http://www.vohauls-mines.com

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Oilers99 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:16 am

I hate the text interface. The problem is that even if you stick to the commands that seem to make sense, the game isn't necessarily programmed to the way you think. It also takes time to type out what you want to do. I much prefer a point and click interface, where you're given everything you need to beat the game, and then you can use the proper action with efficiency and ease.

It's just incredibly hard to control a game with text, since a language is so huge, that you couldn't possibly create a program to respond properly to all of it, or even to the complete set of logical choices within the game world. I'll be very happy if I there is never an adventure game with a text interface again.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#7 Post by Da_elf » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:05 pm

there are times a text input might be needed. looks at its use in kq1VGA where you need to give the dudes name

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#8 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:14 pm

I think LSL7 had a good idea with the optional parser, it was quite fun and you could play the game that way if you wanted. If not you could just use if for some fun/hidden dialouge.

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Oilers99 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:47 pm

Da_elf wrote:there are times a text input might be needed. looks at its use in kq1VGA where you need to give the dudes name
A dialogue tree may actually benefit the game, which eliminates the possibility that one could simply guess the name correctly, or use the name at an earlier time than the game intends, by simply having the correct name not appear as an option until the player learns it. Also eliminates the need to write it down. I've forgotten passwords between the time that I learned them, and the time that I had to punch it in before. Not fun. :(