Royal Quest: Retrieving Lost S**t! Question

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Barf Surprise!
Peasant Status

Royal Quest: Retrieving Lost S**t! Question

#1 Post by Barf Surprise! » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:48 am

:\ Hello! :\

Sorry if you have answered this question before, but I am new here. I did a search about it, to see if you had and nothing came up. And I think with the question I have, this is posted in the right forum.

Anyway, I saw on another website a preview of your cancelled "Royal Quest: Retrieving Lost S**t!", and I thought it looked awesome! A dark comedy set in the land of King's Quest, what a novel idea for a game! I got really excited about it, then I read that you cancelled the project because you wanted to renew people's interest in "classic gaming". And I respect that. But, I read that you guys were 3/4 done when you cancelled production, and that is alot of work to throw down the drain!

So, my question is this. I understand that you don't want to release even a demo of the game because you don't want to be associated with it. But, would you be interested in giving the rights over to another fangame team? That way they could finish the rest of the work, put their spin on what you had and make it their own. And you wouldn't have to be associated with it, if you didn't want to be. I just think you guys put in alot of work to never see the light of day. And the idea was such a great one, it's a shame to think it's just sitting around somewhere.

So, again, sorry if this has been addressed before. Either way, I really respect what you guys are doing. You guys kick some serious butt! Keep up the amazing work!

-Barf Surprise!

A couple of screenshots of the cancelled game:

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:59 am

I think most people will always associate Royal Quest with us. (heck, if someone else picked it up 90% of the content WOULD be ours) So no, I'm afraid we can't give the game out to someone else to continue it. Doing so would go against why we cancelled it in the first place.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Alias » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:57 am

Why would AGDI made such a disrespectful game in the first place?

Broomie
The Enigma

#4 Post by Broomie » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:11 am

Because Alias, it wasn't meant to be disrespectful in the first place, it's just the course it took. It was supposed to be a fun parody, yet their script writer got off track and it was eventually going to be another QFG4.5, thus why they cancelled it.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Alias » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:15 am

They should of stopped when they thought of the title? Lost shit? come on be real. Even QFG4.5 had a better title.  :p

I get the message.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#6 Post by Gronagor » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:42 am

I guess the only chance such a game has (even with other development teams) would be a total rewrite.

Can't help but feel that a project like this would have spoilt KQ1VGA. It's a fun idea, but you wouldn't have looked at KQ1VGA in the same way.

Adventurer
Peasant Status

re

#7 Post by Adventurer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:24 pm

I actually think a Kings Quest parody would be a great idea. You could even sell it as long as you didn't call it King's Quest or use anything from Sierra.

spacedcase
Peasant Status

#8 Post by spacedcase » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:14 pm

If you really want, then why not make a parody of your own? I think the Lost Sh*t thing is funny, if you take out the crudeness. . .After all, you spend a good deal of these games digging things out of bushes and from under pillows.

Writing a funny, parody game wouldn't be that difficult, especially if you opted to use King's Quest as sort of base, then incorporate other parodical aspects of the whole genre - common fantasy films, fairy tale cliches, etc. Throw in a whole lot of witty dialogue, and bam!

Instead of asking for them to give their rejected idea out, make up something of your own, and if it's a nice product, I'm sure they'll be proud to have inspired its creation.

Royalist

#9 Post by Royalist » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:54 am

A remake of Royal Quest is in the works already. Contact me if you want to know more about it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:02 am

Thanks for the offer, but I think I already know just about everything there is to know about Royal Quest. I AM curious what makes you think you can remake a game that's never been released to begin with. RQ was more than 4 rooms long, you know.

Royalist

#11 Post by Royalist » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:10 am

Erpy wrote:I AM curious what makes you think you can remake a game that's never been released to begin with.
My creativity. I have lots of funny ideas to enrich the good, old King's Quest 1 story.  :)

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#12 Post by Fribbi » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:56 pm

Do you have any screenshots images or any other proof from that game if you are really trying to remake that game to show us Royalist? :hat

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#13 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:00 am

*navynuke04 wonders if it is a coincidence that Royalist uses the same dial-up server as LucasFan*

Broomie
The Enigma

#14 Post by Broomie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:26 am

It could be LucasFan's twin brother, SierraFan.

I take it Royalist is banned here now, right?

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#15 Post by Fribbi » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:29 am

Why not make a king quest game wich start from very begining? But in the manual there is a great story about King Edward and his queen and it ends when King Graham arrives in the kingdom. AGDI you still have the chance to redit kq1vga if you must know.

"You can do it".