DMv0.51

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Da_elf
Knight Status

DMv0.51

#1 Post by Da_elf » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:53 pm

i need to have a characher talking to a character on a monitor. what i did was i set up the monitor screen as a hotspot and when you do that it changes the background to a new room looking like the last except ive added a character which looks like the monitor with the person on it talking. have i done this wrong? i remember in the KQ remakes there were windows with a characters image popping up when they spoke. how was that done?
Last edited by Da_elf on Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:49 pm

You mean the dialogue pictures?

First of all, you need to import a series of pictures containing the portrait with different positions of the mouth. Put them all into a view, go to the characters tab and give that particular character the number of the view you just created as his speech view. Don't forget to set the dialogue style in the general tab to Sierra-style. Also, don't forget the character whose dialogue portrait you want to show must be in the same room as your player character. (although he doesn't need to be visible to the player)

Da_elf
Knight Status

#3 Post by Da_elf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:16 am

ok. its something close to what i did.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#4 Post by Da_elf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:35 pm

well. just incase no one notices the link in the take5 section ill post it here in the game making section. seems fitting for it to be here i guess.
http://www.elfpro3d.com/Game/DM.rar

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#5 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:03 pm

I'll have to check this out today after work. I didn't have enough time this morning...

Da_elf
Knight Status

#6 Post by Da_elf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:02 pm

just updated it a bit.

http://www.elfpro3d.com/Game/DMv0.3.zip

from here on in ill discuss it in here rather than the other section

Da_elf
Knight Status

#7 Post by Da_elf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:57 pm

If your interested in reading please do :) i got it fixed though if you read the end

ok. i just tried this and it failed.
i have a door. currently its just part of the background with a hotspot on it.
the door starts locked and when the character gets a key i want him to have to use an inventory item (the key) on the door to unlock it. then when its unlocked the next time he interacts with the door it will open it.

currently i was trying this under the interaction as a script

Code: Select all

int door_lock = 0;

if ( door_lock == 0)
{
DispalyMessage("the door is locked");
}
else if ( door_lock == 1)
{
DisplayMessage("the door is open");
}
i planned on replacing the second display message with the action to move the character to the next room however this doesnt seem to want to work.

EDIT
ok. i got it fixed. i decided to use int door_lock = 1;

now i got a problem from where i didnt think id have one. in the inventory item usage.

I used a conditional saying if inventory item #3 was used..do something. the something was to run a script which i put as

display("the door is now unlocked");
door_lock = 2;
but this is giving me an error now. its telling me i have an undefined symbol "door_lock" now i know im supposed to define the symbol however i do that in the code for the interaction.

the code i put in to get it to to atleast save the room was this

int door_lock = 1;

if ( door_lock == 1)
{
display("you unlock the door");
door_lock = 2);
}
else if ( door_lock == 2)
{
display("the door is already unlocked");
}
problem is when i goto the door is nicely tells me its locked. then i get the key and use the key on it it says 'you unlock the door' i try to use the key again and it says "you unlock the door"...it shouldnt say that... and when i goto open the door it says "the door is locked" grrrrr. its going in circles it seems what can i do. i leave it in your capable hands since im out of ideas here

riiight. so having the int of the variable in two places was screwing me up. so i took it out of the two places and made it more global or the room.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#8 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:14 pm

Hey Elf, that was pretty cool. Pretty humerous dialog. I'm assuming nothing is done with the exception of the first video phone call, because I couldn't manage to do anything.

Good work. :)

Da_elf
Knight Status

#9 Post by Da_elf » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:31 pm

yeah. in that version its just the video call. ive gone on and done other stuff now and hopefully will upload something by lunchtime. took me forever to get that darned key and door thing to work

Da_elf
Knight Status

#10 Post by Da_elf » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:48 pm

well. my 2d computer is now doing some work so i wasnt able to do any programming today but hey here is what i had done last night. you cant actually leave by the door when you unlock it since i havent actually done anything after i figured out how to unlock the door.

http://www.elfpro3d.com/Game/DMv0.5.rar

rugged
Defense Minister Status

nice work

#11 Post by rugged » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:38 pm

Very nice work, I will be following this project with interest

Da_elf
Knight Status

#12 Post by Da_elf » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:16 pm

well. i havent gotten to do much this weekend. all i did was to tidy up a few things. game still doesnt go past his door. and a tip for unlocking it is that the small key isnt the one to open the door. i find it really hard to create graphics of tiny items when working in 320x240

http://www.elfpro3d.com/Game/DMv0.51.zip

if you played 0.5 you dont need to get this one really. if your new to the game then have fun

Khalon
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Khalon » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:27 pm

I've done very minimal work with AGS, but a fair amount of programming...If you're still having trouble with the door, you might want to see about whether you can define door_lock globally, rather than as part of the functions. Otherwise, every time the function ends, it throws out the variable, and every time you start the function, it declares a new variable and initialises it to 1.
maybe int door_lock=1; should be in the game start function or something?

Da_elf
Knight Status

#14 Post by Da_elf » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:31 pm

thanks. read the bottom part of my post about the door. i had figured it out by, as you state, making the int door_lock = 1 to be a global variable as opposed to being locked into a function.