New Game! <---The Avatar's First!

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

The Avatar
Knight Status

New Game! <---The Avatar's First!

#1 Post by The Avatar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:20 am

Ok.. I've completed my first game.  it's not downloadable because of all the files, and i seem to have lost my ability to upload to my personal webpage..

Could anyone help me by hosting my game?  (consists of a 10MB folder containing 31 files.)

Once it is uploaded onto the web, anyone and everyone is welcome to try it out and tell me what they think. <smile>

It is complete though, so any 'advice' will be absorbed for future game making ventures!  :D

The Avatar
Knight Status

DRUMROLL>>>><<<<

#2 Post by The Avatar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:47 am

Thanks a million to pidgeot for hosting my game, (and some last minute debugging)

http://download.birdiesoft.dk/SWCrosswords.exe

Download it now!  it's 10MB - mostly .wav files.. sorry about that.

Anyhow, What do you think?  P.s.  I hope you like StarWars..

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#3 Post by Fribbi » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:17 pm

I have no clue how to finish this game. Heck I guess I am not so big Star Wars fan after all.  :o But this is well designed game. But I have not finish this game. With what software or game engine did you use to create this game Avatar?

The Avatar
Knight Status

Answer to Fribbi

#4 Post by The Avatar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Fribbi!

Thanks for trying out my game.  The only help the game supplies are:

1. showing you the number of letters you have wrong in the bottom left of the screen,

and

2. the letters you type will show up red if they are wrong, white if they are right.  So you could start trying letters until you get some white ones and make reasonable guesses from there.

This help I refer to the game supplies through a toggle button (the [end] key).

Finally, I used Dark Basic, a rather simple language which makes programming slightly limiting, but DarkBasic is well designed and a good learning tool for a beginner like myself. :)

If you're having trouble figuring out some of the words, feel free to ask for hints here!  I'd love for you to be able to finish the game.

spacedcase
Peasant Status

#5 Post by spacedcase » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:00 pm

I freakin' love Star Wars and I freakin' love crosswords.

Unfortunately, there only seems to be the one puzzle, the R2-D2 one. I restarted the game in hopes of a new one showing up, but nothing did. Is there only one puzzle? If that's the case, make more! And make them harder!

The Avatar
Knight Status

Thanks Spacedcase

#6 Post by The Avatar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:31 am

Awesome.  I'm glad you enjoyed the game, even if it was a bit short.  In this, my first game, I only created the one puzzle yes.  It has been a great learning experience for me, and I could potentially add more puzzles in a future release.   ;)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#7 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:01 pm

Hey Avatar that game was great!

It could of done with mouse support but it wasnt too hard navigating it.

I got stuck on 2 of the crosswords and I couldnt seem to work out how the help function actually helped me.

Other than that it was great! What program did you use to create it?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#8 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:02 am

Great ending.  :lol

The Avatar
Knight Status

Yeah! More people played my game!

#9 Post by The Avatar » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:35 am

Hey Angelus3K, Quest For Glory Fan!

I'm glad you liked the ending, my g/f said to do something a little flashy, and that's what I came up with. :)

Angelus, mouse support is certainly a great idea.. my personal decision for making games is to start basic and work my way up.  Look for my next game to be a little more complex than this one.. hopefully more challenging too.  As for the Crossword help.. look up at my post to Fribbi, it reads:
The only help the game supplies are:

1. showing you the number of letters you have wrong in the bottom left of the screen,

and

2. the letters you type will show up red if they are wrong, white if they are right.  So you could start trying letters until you get some white ones and make reasonable guesses from there.

This help I refer to the game supplies through a toggle button (the [end] key).

Finally, I used Dark Basic, a rather simple language which makes programming slightly limiting, but DarkBasic is well designed and a good learning tool for a beginner like myself.  

If you're having trouble figuring out some of the words, feel free to ask for hints here!  I'd love for you to be able to finish the game.
Again, thanks for trying out my game.  I may add a more useful help feature in a future version of this game.  All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#10 Post by Fribbi » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:06 pm

I know this link should be in Cirkus thread but I think Avatar will love this link very much. :rollin

Disco-Obi

The Avatar
Knight Status

Obi Dancing

#11 Post by The Avatar » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:54 pm

:rollin   Thanks Fribbi!  That was funny ;)

Hey, and congrats on becoming an administrator on that icelandic forum!

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#12 Post by Fribbi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:48 pm

Thanks and I have already finish your game. Great stuff you got there. :D

BTW I have finally got a job in a radio fm957 in Iceland. The radiotatalkshow is called socks and it is some kind of comedy and fun entertainment. I only have to tell them jokes and sing for them.

So it look like my unemployments day are finally over now. I will finally get paid for my jokes. It's like a dream job. But hey this is just a start. Someday I will be on TV show. But that always happens to someone who works on the radio.

Pfffttt to SIS!  And you thought I was nothing and nobody will likes me and I will never get a job. Well you have lost your battle on me again loser. Pick another guy to pick on instead for me nanananannaaaaaaaanaah! You are a loser SIS not me.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#13 Post by fluxmaster » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:01 am

Fribbi wrote:I have finally got a job in a radio fm957 in Iceland.
Congratulations!  That sounds like the perfect job for you!  Great to hear the news.

The Avatar
Knight Status

Radio Jokester!

#14 Post by The Avatar » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:00 am

Yes,  it is a wonderful thing to have an outlet for your creative musings, and to get paid for it as well!  May we all be so successful in our own adventures through life..

By the way, i've decided to work on a second game.  Thanks for all your support on my first!  This one will take substantially longer, mainly because I'm in college fulltime this semester.  I suspect it will be ready around the holidays..

MasterG
Peasant Status

#15 Post by MasterG » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:41 pm

Make a DC Comics one and I'll get back to you.  :lol

Nice piece of code you got there.