ID Software releases Full Quake 3 Source Code.

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

ID Software releases Full Quake 3 Source Code.

#1 Post by Alias » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:19 pm

Hi all,

I just heard about the full source code release of the Quake 3 engine, do you guys know how powerful that engine is? I know its not next generation material but its a free release of a very powerful and flexable engine.

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/150000/156321.shtml

Thoughts?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Alias » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:56 pm

Heres the story from IGN:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/641/641567p1.html
August 12, 2005 - At QuakeCon today, id Software's annual event down in Texas, John Carmack announced that the Quake III source code will be released under the GPL, "hopefully some time next week," to be available on their FTP site.

In a presentation that lasted well over an hour, streamed live for free at the official website, quakecon.org, Carmack rambled over a dozen different topics, covering development on next-generation platforms and the viability of physics processors, but the highlight for us PC kids was probably when he mentioned, almost as an aside, that Quake III source was going to be freely available in a week or less. The motivation appeared to stem from his recent experience with cell phone game development, where a product could be created from stem to stern inside of one man-year of time (as opposed to the hundred or more man-years it takes for a triple-A PC title).

Carmack said he hopes to spur "creativity in the development environment" but stressed that "It's not about the magic source code that's there...It's about the execution," and that it's easy to get wrapped up in the fact that you have a name-brand engine, even though you might not have the resources to do anything with it. He added, "The last ten percent [of development] turns out to be ninety percent of the work." Interestingly, when asked about plans to develop on the PSP, he compared its performance level to something that the Q3 engine could fit inside of, so development with this engine might not be technologically limited to the PC and consoles.

He also added that high-end cell phones gaming technology is rapidly approaching what's possible on dedicated portable gaming devices, although there may only be a "one- to two-year window" before the bar is raised again.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#3 Post by Da_elf » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:06 am

i want the colin mcrea rally source code. wwhhaaaaahhhh!! hehe. id love to do a car game

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:20 pm

Mario Kart source code would be nice.

I'd also love a level builder tool for games like Yoshi's Island, I'd love making levels for that game!

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#5 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:44 pm

It was about time they released this... People have been trying to get this released for YEARS.

Not that it's really of much use to me...  :)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Alias » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:30 pm

At least developers can now have a decent comercial engine to work with, instead of some not-so-good freeware ones. You could make a pretty cool adventure/RPG with this engine.

Broomie
The Enigma

#7 Post by Broomie » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:31 pm

Angelus3K wrote:I'd also love a level builder tool for games like Yoshi's Island, I'd love making levels for that game!
You can with the The Games Factory program I sent you. It's a piece of piss using that. Well, look at a few examples and it's really easy to use.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#8 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:47 pm

Broomie wrote:It's a piece of piss using that.
Whatever you say

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#9 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:56 pm

You could make a clone game but it wouldnt be the same as making level for the actual game itself, it would just be some crappy thing someone made lol