Pathfinding algorithm

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

akanucho
Peasant Status

Pathfinding algorithm

#1 Post by akanucho » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:16 pm

Does anybody know what  type of pathfinding algorithm AGS uses for character movement?  I'm in the middle of designing my own game engine (not that I don't want to use AGS, but I'm using this game engine project as a motivation for me to finetune my Java skills) and the best option that I've come up with is an implementation of the A* algorithm using a Manhattan Distance heuristic with a vector-based tie breaker to smoothen the path.  In order to smoothen the paths on the origin side of obstacles, I'm going to have to either run the pathfinding algorithm twice (origin to destination and destination to origin) or implement recursion on subsections of the path.

I realize that this type of question might be a bit out of the league of most of the forumgoers here, but on the slim chance that someone here has a suggestion, I'm asking it.