Laura Bow 1 Colonels Bequest EGA VGA Remake/Repaint

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

princealexander
Peasant Status

Laura Bow 1 Colonels Bequest EGA VGA Remake/Repaint

#1 Post by princealexander » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:16 pm

Hiya Gang, I have decided to attempt a remake/repaint of Laura Bow 1
Colonels Bequest, Above is a before and after shot of 2 screens from the game. Tell me what ya think, I'll post more info later in this new thread.

Prince Alex

Sir Bob
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Sir Bob » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:23 pm

In the left shots, I think that it would be a little better if there accually was moonlight coming in through the windows, but thats just my opinion. The right one looks great though!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:40 pm

Alright! Hope this one's serious this time and not like Mr. Kast (and that's all I'll say about that). Those graphics look very similar to the old LucasArts VGA adventures. You sure you aren't LucasFan? :)

Nice art, though, I like them. Would like to see more.

princealexander
Peasant Status

#4 Post by princealexander » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:34 pm

Sir Bob wrote:In the left shots, I think that it would be a little better if there accually was moonlight coming in through the windows but thats just my opinion.
And your opinion definitly counts, would you like the moonlignt reversed so it is shinning in from the windows towards the left instead of the right like it is shown on the before shot except reversed? let me know and I'll give it a try and repost the results.

The right one looks great though!
:rollin Thank You Very Much. :rollin That means alot to me since it may not look like alot of work, but it was. I worked on the left shot for 3 days, the right shot, 2 days, making decisions on some of the little designs, painting and shading pixel by pixel.

for those of you who havn't, save the picture to you system and blow it up on your screen so you can see some of the shading detail a little better, some of it is a bit impossable to see at the small size.

princealexander
Peasant Status

#5 Post by princealexander » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:09 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Alright! Hope this one's serious this time
This definitly is serious, I'm not going to let you guys down!, I will be working on my next screen a little later on tonight, I will post each completed screens Before & After shot for everyone to evaluate.
Those graphics look very similar to the old LucasArts VGA adventures. You sure you aren't LucasFan? :)
;) It accidently turned out that way, I wasn't shooting for Lucas Arts Style Coloring/Art,it must of been one or those subconcience things ya do hehe!  but yes I am a fan of Lucas Arts, like Maniac Mansion (grin)
Nice art, though, I like them. Would like to see more.
Thank You Man, more to come soon! no messing around here!

This is the order I plan on getting started with this game project:

1. All background artwork for all rooms in game (not including the beginning introduction animation/artwork [Yet])

2.Redrawing/painting Laura Bow and animateing her movement around each room. ( I might screen capture each movement frame of Laura from LB2 Dagger Of AmonRa while she is at the museum wearing the light blue dress, just to use as a reference)

3. enlarging the face closeups of each character from the LB1 introduction and recoloring/reshading their faces.

Ok That is how im starting out with this.

More info a bit later men!

Prince Alex

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:59 am

Hey PrinceAlexander. Would it be okay if I asked you to decrease the width of your avatar a bit? It's stretching up the page a tad and it makes your thread harder to read.

Thanks.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Not again...

#7 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:32 am

Jodo, is that you? :rollin

Anyways, good luck, buddy; you'll need it.  And though Erpy's right and you should resize the avatar, I must admit... having a Richter Belmont sprite as an avatar elevates you in my opinion. :lol

princealexander
Peasant Status

Re: Not again...

#8 Post by princealexander » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:05 am

Brainiac wrote:Jodo, is that you? :rollin  
Nope, I'm not Jodo, also I shut avatar off for now till I set up another one, sorry gang, want to make things as easy as possible

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#9 Post by Swift » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:23 am

Looks promising. Good luck with the project.

orieac
Peasant Status

#10 Post by orieac » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:00 pm

princealexander wrote: 2.Redrawing/painting Laura Bow and animateing her movement around each room. ( I might screen capture each movement frame of Laura from LB2 Dagger Of AmonRa while she is at the museum wearing the light blue dress, just to use as a reference)
Prince Alex
I think it would be easier to capture the frame without the background picture. Use ViewView program to do that.

princealexander
Peasant Status

#11 Post by princealexander » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:28 pm

orieac wrote: I think it would be easier to capture the frame without the background picture. Use ViewView program to do that.
please save me a little time from web searching so I can go back to painting, do you know where I can get View View?

Thanks

Prince Alex

orieac
Peasant Status

#12 Post by orieac » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:49 pm

princealexander wrote: please save me a little time from web searching so I can go back to painting, do you know where I can get View View?

Thanks

Prince Alex
Yes. You also need SCI Resources Dumper. This is the command for the floppy version of Laura Bow 2:

Code: Select all

SCIResDump /m3 /v1 /p1 /nRESOURCE.000 RESOURCE.MAP -1
Then you can use ViewView.

They both come with TraduSCI 1.1.2. You can find it at http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/.

Will you use Adventure Game Studio?

princealexander
Peasant Status

#13 Post by princealexander » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:25 pm

orieac wrote: Will you use Adventure Game Studio?
Yes I am using AGS 2.71, At this point, I have the understanding of making the walkable areas, walk behind areas/base line, and the how far a character can walk before it walks off the screen into the next room. once all art work is done, I'll have to map all of these things for each room.

Thanks

Prince Alex

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#14 Post by Spikey » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:57 pm

Dude. I can send you a transcript and timing of events that should take place at certain times. I've started doing that when myself and others tried to remake it. Was very much work and it died quickly. That transcript + timing of events was very essential and very extensive, and was a lot of work to construct. Let me know.

Spikey

princealexander
Peasant Status

#15 Post by princealexander » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:42 am

Spikey wrote:Dude. I can send you a transcript and timing of events that should take place at certain times. I've started doing that when myself and others tried to remake it. Was very much work and it died quickly. That transcript + timing of events was very essential and very extensive, and was a lot of work to construct. Let me know.

Spikey
EEEEEEEEXCCEEEELEEEEENT!! I will be needing your help when i get to the point of programming the game when the base workings of the game is completed (art work etc.) I'm going to try sending you a private message so we can exchange email addresses if thats cool.

Prince Alex

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#16 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:17 pm

That's very nice artwork, Prince Alex!

Matusel3
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Matusel3 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:25 pm

Send me an instant message on AIM at: Monster4x4Jeep.  I have a group of people myself that are involved in remaking the colonel's bequest.  We are about 3 or 4 rooms into it, and about 3 weeks total.  We all work full time jobs and have a very heavy work/responsibility load in the real world.  One of us is a professional web developer, I'm personally an IT director working close to 10 or 11 hours a day.  Perhaps we could pool resources, because more than anything I'd like to see this project come together.  Let me know.

~Matt

princealexander
Peasant Status

#18 Post by princealexander » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:53 pm

orieac wrote:

Yes. You also need SCI Resources Dumper. This is the command for the floppy version of Laura Bow 2:

Code: Select all

SCIResDump /m3 /v1 /p1 /nRESOURCE.000 RESOURCE.MAP -1
Then you can use ViewView.

They both come with TraduSCI 1.1.2. You can find it at http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/.
okay I downloaded the SCI resource dumper  and views viewer from http://vagsoft.chat.ru/sci.html#top

and got this:
SCI1/32 resource dumper v1.2 (c) VAG 23-jul-2k2, ARR.
CMDLINE: Strange switch specified, ignored...
Using SCI32 map format, SCI1 volume format and SCI1 unpacking mode
Volume name: RESOURCE.000
Directory type 128 (view), offs= 27, len= 7e6 (404 entries) :
 #    1: id=    0: vol=  0, offs=    39c40 Saving... -> Saved ok! (17b->1bf)
 #    2: id=  256: vol=  0, offs=   9dc400 Saving...PKWDCLUnp: Strange flexflag

PKWDCLUnp: Dictionary underflow
-> Saved ok! (17b->1bf)
 #    3: id=    3: vol=  0, offs=   210002 Saving... -> Saved ok! (e0ad->838f)
 #    4: id=  927: vol=  0, offs=      300 Saving...PKWDCLUnp: Strange flexflag

PKWDCLUnp: Strange dictionary size
-> Saved ok! (172->2618)
 #    5: id=41090: vol=  0, offs=    40003 Saving...PKWDCLUnp: Strange flexflag

-> Saved ok! (6556->9ee3)
 #    6: id=  768: vol=  0, offs=      3a2 Saving...PKWDCLUnp: Strange flexflag

-> Saved ok! (1890->1dd4)
 #    7: id=    6: vol=  0, offs=    3a38f Saving... -> Saved ok! (173->1da)
 #    8: id= 2304: vol=  0, offs=   a50b00 Saving...PKWDCLUnp: Strange flexflag

-> Saved ok! (173->1da)
 #    9: id=    3: vol=  0, offs=   76000b Saving...PKWDCLUnp: Strange flexflag

-> Saved ok! (173->1da)
 #   10: id=  934: vol=  0, offs=      c00 Saving...PKWDCLUnp: Strange flexflag

it made some files named with the numbers listed above where it says 'id=' of type v56 files, I tried to view them with views viewer and got memory access violation errors on most of the files the resource dumper
made. the only ones that worked (ones that would open in views viewer) was the one that is a picture of a Walk Icon and the Exit Icon.

I used the dumper right from the game directory and it is the disk version
of Laura Bow 2.

any ideas?

is there any difference by using the ones you said
that are with TraduSCI 1.1.2. that can be found at http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/.

princealexander
Peasant Status

#19 Post by princealexander » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:34 pm

Matusel3 wrote:Send me an instant message on AIM at: Monster4x4Jeep.  I have a group of people myself that are involved in remaking the colonel's bequest.  We are about 3 or 4 rooms into it, and about 3 weeks total.  We all work full time jobs and have a very heavy work/responsibility load in the real world.  One of us is a professional web developer, I'm personally an IT director working close to 10 or 11 hours a day.  Perhaps we could pool resources, because more than anything I'd like to see this project come together.  Let me know.

~Matt
I don't have or use any kind of instant messanger software, if you want to give me more info on what your doing, how this is organized, who is responsible for programming what aspects of the game ETC you can send me a private message on here.

I plan on doing all the artwork in the game. Most likely I'll probably turn
out either getting tips from others here on programming it or working with 1 or 2 other prople that want to assist me in the programming of the game
once I'm done all the artwork. Once the game is finished, anyone that has assisted in the programming of it will be given credit in the credit section of the game, real names or screen names can be used.But let me know whats going on on your end anyway.

Prince Alexander

orieac
Peasant Status

#20 Post by orieac » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:49 pm

princealexander wrote: is there any difference by using the ones you said
that are with TraduSCI 1.1.2. that can be found at http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/.
Use the ones that came with TraduSCI. They work better because some programs were updated.
Readme.txt wrote:SCI Resource Dumper 1.2.2 is able to extract data from the other SCI1.1 and SCI32 Sierra games, but Eco Quest I and Police Quest I (VGA). The program is copyright Vladimir Gneushev, but I have changed this version in order to support some SCI1.1 games like Quest for GLory I (VGA).

Matusel3
Peasant Status

#21 Post by Matusel3 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:41 pm

Good luck with the remake!  I think it may be a bit difficult to do as a one man show like you want, but I can't wait to see how it looks when it's done.  By the way, the pictures look good, but, the house in the game wasn't a castle - it was blue, you need to make the house blue again.  Also the bedroom had tile as it was an older house, it  takes away from the original feeling of the game by putting in the carpeting.  Also I believe the furniture and walls should remain original.  That's my opinion, but other than that it's looking great..

Sir Bob
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Sir Bob » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:27 am

princealexander wrote:
Sir Bob wrote:In the left shots, I think that it would be a little better if there accually was moonlight coming in through the windows but thats just my opinion.
And your opinion definitly counts, would you like the moonlignt reversed so it is shinning in from the windows towards the left instead of the right like it is shown on the before shot except reversed? let me know and I'll give it a try and repost the results.

The right one looks great though!
:rollin Thank You Very Much. :rollin That means alot to me since it may not look like alot of work, but it was. I worked on the left shot for 3 days, the right shot, 2 days, making decisions on some of the little designs, painting and shading pixel by pixel.

for those of you who havn't, save the picture to you system and blow it up on your screen so you can see some of the shading detail a little better, some of it is a bit impossable to see at the small size.
Heh, I know this is late, but my computer has been acting up. You are very welcome, and I can see the time and effort you took into putting these backgrounds together. Nice work Princealexander!

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by gargin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:27 pm

Well im new to the forums but I just wanted to say how great the pics look. Recently I have been thinking how great it would be if someone redid this game. (I have even been replaying it the past couple nights.)
    Of all the games to redo aside from possibly Quest for Glory 2 this has to be one of the hardest so I wanted to wish you luck! Can't wait to hear more!

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by moonlit » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:34 pm

Nice pictures. Would love to play LB1 in vga (only played LB2).

I think though that the 'door' picture is a little dark. Like adding the moonlight in the left picture I think adding some highlights in the right picture would create a bit more ' atmosphere'. (The original has also quite some bright spots).

Ok, not the greates paintover, but to get the idea.

Regards, Ron AF Greve

princealexander
Peasant Status

#25 Post by princealexander » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:29 am

moonlit wrote:Nice pictures. Would love to play LB1 in vga (only played LB2).

I think though that the 'door' picture is a little dark. Like adding the moonlight in the left picture I think adding some highlights in the right picture would create a bit more ' atmosphere'. (The original has also quite some bright spots).

Regards, Ron AF Greve
I see what you're sayin' , Actually what I'm trying to do is eliminate some of the Drastic " light spots " on my original repaint the light grey spots are close to the lamps on the walls and on the ground sort of behind the poles, they may be a bit off center though, and yes I see what you are getting at.something else I noticed. The bedroom lamps appear to be gas or oil lamps and the outside lamps appear to be electrical (no flame animation) I was thinking of maybe giving the front door lamps a flame animation so they flicker and light things up even more. I figure this animation would have to be a function I add through AGS. I only know the "very basics" in AGS so far so I'm not sure how I'm gonna do this yet.
I'm probably gonna do something to light it up some more.
Thanks man!

P.S. I finished the graveyard scene

Prince Alex