First game

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

First game

#1 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:36 pm

Just thought I'd "show off" some of what my brother and I are doing for our first game.

That's the main character and the first room. The game is called The Bear Cave, the premise is that you're trapped in a cave and you need to find a way out. Pretty simple, we're really just learning as we go. So far there are 3 rooms, an animated background that needs redoing, and we still have to make a sprite for a sleeping bear. It's going to be a very short game, though hopefully fairly humorous. Also, we're trying to make as many options as possible, to avoid the hideous "that doesn't work" that plagues so many folks... even if the game is ridiculously short. Criticism, albeit constructive preferably, is of course welcome.

- DieDie Productions

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:39 pm

Picture isn't showing up. Perhaps it'd be easier to link to it? I'm anxious to see what it looks like.

EDIT: Ok for some reason it's showing up now. Interesting looking. Can't wait to play it!

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:16 am

not that it really matters, but the reason I haven't bothered with an update is because we're still waiting on a bear animation. dum dee dum. ha!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:28 am

Course it matters.  Perserverance is the only thing that finishes games.  Talent alone will only get you a screenshot.

Keep plugging away.  When you finish, you'll find you've had a satisfying experience.

Bt

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Music Head » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:37 pm

The cloud has a weird green leg.  ;)

Da_elf
Knight Status

#6 Post by Da_elf » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:29 pm

thats jacks beanstock going up into the cloud

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:59 am

This game is almost done, however we're quickly moving on to another project, as this was just a test game to see if we could do it. We have a much better and more serious game in the works. This one, however, will see the light of day before too long. (Not that that's something to be all that enthused about, haha.) Check out my new avatar for a sample of our (horrible) animations. (If the bloody thing would stop just sitting still for no reason!!!  >: )

Alliance
Knight Status

#8 Post by Alliance » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:32 am

wow!  :eek  That looks like fun!
Best of luck on your game!

pass
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by pass » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:31 am

Sounds good. If, by any chance, you need a programmer - I'll be glad to help.

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:44 am

As my friends are lazy and I suck royally at drawing animations from scratch, I've simply ripped the bear from KQ5 for The Bear Cave. Once my brother and I sit down and put a good hour or two into it, it'll be finished. Very short, very pointless, but finished nonetheless. All the rooms save one are completed, all the animations are done, just need to put in several text displayed messages and interactions, as well as end the game, and it's done.

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:18 am

I'm a bit stumped as to why Game - Display a message takes precedence over everything. Until I figure that out, the game's gonna take a bit longer.

I appreciate the support from everyone, but believe me when I say this:

This game sucks royally. You will play it for 5 minutes, beat it, and say, that was terrible. It's just us seeing if we can even make a game in AGS.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by pass » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:17 am

dungeonsofdorks wrote:I'm a bit stumped as to why Game - Display a message takes precedence over everything. Until I figure that out, the game's gonna take a bit longer.
It shouldn't AFAIK, it should be in the order you write them. If it isn't, try using the wait function before the display function.

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:25 am

Yeah, I wasn't writing scripts, just using the interaction things. I fixed it now, though. Thanks!  :)