Adventure Game Design Contest

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

phats
Peasant Status

Adventure Game Design Contest

#1 Post by phats » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:55 pm

Greetings to all my fellow adventure game developer enthusiasts,

I am starting a contest to see who can come up with the best adventure game design.  In this contest, contestants will be creating a short adventure game.

The purpose of this contest is NOT who can make the coolest art or compose the best ditties; so rip 'em or nix 'em (stick figures will do).

What each contestant will be judged on is: quality of puzzles, depth of story, and originality.  

Use this contest to kick-start a project you've been meaning to create, or just do it for the prize: one year of web hosting through godaddy.com!  (includes domain name)*

We will be meeting at youngwritersforum.net(see forum: contests), an independent writer's forum group.  Everyone of all skills are eligible to participate.

We are going to have a short "warm-up" period before starting the contest to make sure that all contestants are comfortable with their ability to realize their idea using the game engine of their choice (we are recommending AGS due to its simplicity, but if you know something else, use it).

The development time is set to 2 weeks.  You may include people to help you produce your game, BUT only the writer will be eligible to participate in the contest as only the writing is being judged.

Please spread the word.  The more contestants, the more games we all get to play.

Thanks

Phattie

*Awarded to the winner upon judgment.

Broomie
The Enigma

#2 Post by Broomie » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:37 pm

I like this idea, I made a news post at Adventure Europe about this.

http://www.adventure-eu.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=63

phats
Peasant Status

#3 Post by phats » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:57 am

Thanks Jamie, I really appreciate the exposure!

I posted on the AGS forum, but boy are they giving me a hard time.  Anyway, I am really hoping at least 5 people will join the contest, or I'll be the only one making a game :(.  I'll wait another week and see who turns up

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#4 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:31 am

Wait, I'm a little confused. Do we make a finished game, or do we just submit a script/written document for a game?

phats
Peasant Status

#5 Post by phats » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:38 am

Sorry for the confusion.  This is the same question people are asking at the AGS forum.  

You need to submit an actual game.

The rules are posted on youngwritersforum.net; but basically you need to materialize your idea in the form of a game people can play and rank.  

The graphics do not matter, nor do sound effects/music.  All that matters is that your idea can be played somehow.  I recommend AGS, as it is (assumingly) easy to learn.  You can then rip backgrounds or music from other games, or create simple stick figures/wireframes.  If you don't want to do this, you can have someone else do it for you, but they will not be recognized as a contestant

The game does not need to be full blown and fancy.  Just a few playable minutes will do (as long as there is an introduction and an ending).