Is this Pixel art or another technique?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

sgalland
Peasant Status

Is this Pixel art or another technique?

#1 Post by sgalland » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:47 pm

To make these kinds of adventure games, is this pixel art or another technique to make VGA Sierra style games?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:03 am

I think it's a combination of hand drawn and pixel editing. Specifically I think, for the most part, that the screens are sketched out on paper, scanned, colored, and then pixel edited. KQ1VGA, if I'm not mistaken, was entirely Photoshoped, I believe. I'm not 100% sure so maybe Erpy or the AGDs would be better at answering this.

Fizzii
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Fizzii » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:03 am

It is possible to pixel a whole vga background, but generally it is either digitally painted, or collaged with textures or other images, as using pixel art technique would take a lot of time. Or you could actually paint the background using traditional medium, and then scan and resize it and edit it, but that would be more work.

Sprites are usually pixelled though.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#4 Post by Da_elf » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:20 am

i use either PS or illustrator. this is a frame from the next game im going to develope. its a repaint in PS done over the origial image since thee quality of the original wasnt good enough to use. some people might recognise what this is from.
http://www.elfpro3d.com/get1.jpg

adeyke

#5 Post by adeyke » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:58 am

That's from Astérix, isn't it?

Da_elf
Knight Status

#6 Post by Da_elf » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:33 pm

yup. took about half a day to paint that up

Da_elf
Knight Status

#7 Post by Da_elf » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:55 pm

here is another one i just whipped up. not shown here is animated fire and smoke on the big cauldron in the fireplace.
http://www.elfpro3d.com/get2.jpg

Da_elf
Knight Status

#8 Post by Da_elf » Thu May 11, 2006 8:28 pm

http://www.elfpro3d.com/Asterix.rar
just a quick playable demo to show some of the backgrounds in progress. I have all the rooms setup for both day and night system and just need to get the code up and running to be able to have time change. As you can naturally see i havent started work on characters yet (the fishermans wife is part of the background). I thought id point out that the scaleing of character depending on where he walks isnt set either and neither are the walkbehind areas set.