Heroes of Might & Magic 5 nearly here!

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

Heroes of Might & Magic 5 nearly here!

#1 Post by Blake00 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:17 am

Notes:
You can click on ANY picture to enlarge!
Pictures are from different beta versions so differences in interface and textures many be observed.
Some shots are pure eye candy shots where the interface is deliberately hidden so do not fear that there is none.
----------------------------------------

Hi guys..

That's right the release of Heroes of Might & Magic 5 is getting closer & closer, and the Demo has just been released to the public!

Image.Image.Image.Image

I've have been a Heroes fan since 1996 when as a teenager I accidentally stumbled across a demo of Heroes 1 on PC Gamer CD and instantly fell in love with it! The idea ruling over beautiful castles (While developing them up), launching heroes out (that could level up & collect artifacts RPG style), control large armies (of beautiful fantasy creatures from all your favorite books & movies), and explore a large world (of dwellings, monsters, and other rival castles) just blew me away & everyone else I showed it to.

Since then I've collected every game plus its add-ons in the series. I enjoy playing many genres of games, First Person, RPGs, RT Strategy, & TB Strategy and have many favorites over the years but Heroes takes the crown. Never has a series of games caused so many sleepless nights with the old ‘just one more turn..' mentality lol!

For those of you who don't know the unfortunate tail I'll say it really briefly here. In 2001/2 when the rushed out Heroes 4 & its addons were released 3DO fell bankrupt taking Heroes creators New World Computing with them and it looked like all was over for the Heroes series. But then European company UbiSoft bought the Heroes name and in 2003 a Nival project leader made an unofficial announcement in a popular Heroes fan forum that work had begun on Heroes 5.

Since then Ubisoft/Nival have been pumping out all sorts of juicy hints & FAQs, and then finally pictures and game play video's over the last year so I thought I'd drop by some of the forums that I browse to show how good the game is looking now!

The game's 3D engine is looking gorgeous and creates some amazing game environments for your heroes to walk, collect treasure, & fight in:

In the Haven Faction grasslands
The Human heroes ride on armored horseback while trees & flowers & crops sway in the wind, and sun light pours through the trees. In the castle screen the castle glows with holy light surrounded by reflective rippling water.
Image.Image.Image.Image

In the Inferno Faction volcanoes
The Demon heroes run through massive deep lava pits & flowing lava rivers, while steam & fire spews out through giant cracks. In the castle screen the fortress burns and flaming lava chunks fall from the sky leaving smoke trails in the air!
Image.Image.Image.Image

In the Undead Faction swamps
The Necromancer heroes ride their undead horse surrounded in the darkness of a foggy night while green gasses flow & seep out of deep pits. In the castle screen the black towers have an eerie green glow (LOTR Mordor dead city style).
Image.Image.Image.Image

In the Sylvan Faction forests
The Elven heroes ride unicorns through giant trees towering up into the sky, while rivers & waterfalls flow around them. The castles are built in & out of giant trees that drop their leaves gently down into a beautiful reflective lake.
Image.Image.Image.Image

In the Dungeon Faction underworld
The Dark Elven heroes ride giant lizards in a hidden world that exists under the regular map surface containing many tunnels with castles & dwellings & underground rivers lit up in various beautiful colors by the surrounding monsters, crystals & treasure in the caves.
Image.Image.Image.Image

In the Academy Faction deserts
The Wizard heroes ride war elephants through giant canyons stretching between rolling sandy hills while their castles magically float in the sky above resting in the clouds and glowing sunlight.
Image.Image.Image.Image

Combat Screen
The new Battle screen is fast and action paced on a square grid (not hex anymore), spells are cast in beautiful detail, and Heroes 3 fans will be pleased to know that Ballistas/Aid tents/Ammo carts/Catapults are all back (were gone in Heroes 4).
Image.Image.Image.Image

Videos
At E3 2005 we were blown away with an amazing FMV showing a demon attack on a human castle showing Devils, Archangels, Ghost Dragons, and a powerful human hero. Here are some snapshots I've taken from the video:
Image..Image

Link to the video itself:
ftp://ftp.ubi.com/emea/homm5/videos/HOM ... r_EMEA.zip

Afterwoods a series of informative gameplay videos were released which you can get from here:
Town-
ftp://ftp.ubi.com/emea/homm5/videos/HV_E3_demo_1.wmv
Adventure-
ftp://ftp.ubi.com/emea/homm5/videos/HV_E3_demo_2.wmv
Battle-
ftp://ftp.ubi.com/emea/homm5/videos/HV_E3_demo_3.wmv

Links
One of the biggest Heroes series fan sites is Celestial Heavens and they have collected many Heroes 5 pictures which you can check out here:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=417

For those of you familiar with Heroes of Might & Magic there is also a good review of the gameplay features posted at Celestial Heavens too:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=511

THE DEMO!
The much anticipated Heroes of Might & Magic 5 demo (700MB) which contains:
- Two maps from the Haven and Inferno campaigns
- One custom single-player map: "843 YSD: Falcon's last flight"
- Duel Mode: 6 heroes out of 18 are available for selection in this brand new online mode

Easiest if you've got a download manager-
UBISoft FTP

Alternative locations-
3DGamers
Worthplaying
Filefront
Gamershell
Gamespot
Boomtown
Gamedaily
Xfire
Espace.ch

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#2 Post by Vildern » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:03 am

Wow! This game looks beautiful!!

I just hope that gameplay-wise it is truly a step backwards to Heroes III, as admittedly, I wasn't fond of Heroes IV....

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:59 am

Looks a great game.

I think this thread is borderline advertising though lol

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#4 Post by Spikey » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:35 am

Vildern wrote:Wow! This game looks beautiful!!

I just hope that gameplay-wise it is truly a step backwards to Heroes III, as admittedly, I wasn't fond of Heroes IV....
You and the rest of the world.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:39 pm

I'll definetly give it a look when it is released. I alwayus saw the earlier ones on the shelves but for some reason I never picked it up to look at it.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#6 Post by Vroomfondel » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:22 pm

Wow! I've been a fan of the Heroes series ever since I got a collection of Heroes I and II for Christmas one year. Sadly, I haven't been able to keep up with the series because my computer's too old.  :(

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Blake00 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:13 am

Angelus3K wrote:Looks a great game.

I think this thread is borderline advertising though lol
I know it probably appears that way mate but Heroes is just something I've been passionate about for 10 years now and I know that there are fans everywhere that may not know about H5's existence or its progress... Much to my girlfriends annoyance I decided to devote my entire Easter weekend to showing off the game to all the places I visit lol!!!!!

My download of the Demo has just finally finished but it only gets to the title screen (very cool battle between a devil & Inquisitor) on my ancient computer, it keeps crashing every time I try to load a mission grrr...  gonna have to wait until I get my upgrade before I can really check it out I guess..

Broomie
The Enigma

#8 Post by Broomie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:33 am

Why has this been moved to the Game Making forum? This is an official game not a fan's made game, doesn't this belong in the off topic forum still?

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Blake00 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:53 am

I don't know.. i can assure you I didn't orginally post it in the game making forum..