I need a little help with my game

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

I need a little help with my game

#1 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:15 am

Im making a comercial game of which im doing a little well on but im having a little trouble i dont know how to add character portriats to apear when they tallk and i was wondering how to add them.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:33 am

With AGS? Change the speech style to Sierra style in the general settings section of the editor, put all your dialog portrait frames into a view, go to the character section of the editor, click on the button "speech view" while that character is selected and change the character's speech view to the corresponding view number.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by pass » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:25 pm

You can also use the 'lip sync' function to adjust the lip movement to what's being said. It's a cute addition, but I don't think it's very visible (unless you know it's there).

Alliance
Knight Status

#4 Post by Alliance » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Ah yes, I love lip sync. Though the best way to figure out which frame goes with which letter is just merely taking 26 photos of your face making different  
sounds for each letter, and use that as a reference for your talking animations.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#5 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:39 pm

Thanx for the help

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#6 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:45 am

I need a little more help how do i make a battle system for my game

pass
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by pass » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:47 am

Now that's more difficult... I don't think a short post would cover that, might wanna search the web for an AGS guide (or if someone has a useful link...)?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:28 pm

Combat systems are among the funnest things you can do in AGS, but the engine wasn't built with battle in mind, so you'll have to create it from scratch yourself. I suggest making sure programming in AGS becomes like a second nature to you before working on the more complex stuff like battle systems. To use an analogy...before trying to write poetry in a certain language, you need to have the mastered the language itself.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#9 Post by Klytos » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:47 am

I believe that Scorporius over at the AGS forums scripted a sample QFG style fighting room ages ago. It might still be around, and worth looking into.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#10 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:24 am

Well I forgot all about my game for a long time after getting a program to make differrant types of Zelda games. But i got bored with it cause the game I was working on had to be a Zelda style game only. (And believe in me it's not as exiting as it seems)  So now I'm back at my AGS game and I've finallaly got somewhere with it of course I'm imbarassed to say I just figured out how to get my character to go behind stuff. and am still working on finding a battle system thats RPG style or Quest For Glory style but I've got a small question that I soppose I need to figure out before I add a battle system and thats how do I get my main character to die. I've read the help files on AGS and could not find it. And if it is there I just haven't found it. so can anyone here help me kill the main character of my game.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by pass » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:41 pm

By 'kill', do you mean in-game character death, or do you mean the deletion of 'roger' (or whatever the default character is called)?

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#12 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:56 am

In-game character death I believe. Cause I already replaced roger with my own character so getting rid of roger was easy.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#13 Post by Kurdt » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:05 am

I hate to sound like an AGS-head, but if you go to the AGS Beginner's FAQ or the AGS forums (or read the help file), all of those answers are right there for you.

BUT, because I rule so greatly, here's how you have someone die.

Say, for example, you're remaking KQ4 and you want Rosella to fall of a cliff when she walks too close to the edge and die. WELL, you set it up to when she gets to a certain point on the screen (aka the edge of a cliff), you replace the normal walking sprite with the Rosella falling off the cliff animation and have it travel to another point on the screen (aka the bottom of the cliff). When the animation runs through, you could either switch it to a Rosella SPLAT! view, or just have the animation stop looping when it completes, leaving her on the SPLAT! frame. After that, you set it up to where when that animation completes, a special Death GUI window comes up, saying something cool like, "you stupid moron, you're so dead" with the buttons to either restore, restart, or quit. Then you just program those buttons on the GUI to do those things and there you go! Your character is now dead. Happy times!

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#14 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:25 am

Thanx for responding so quickly and being so helpful. I owe you one.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#15 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:13 am

OK I've decided after all the advice I got from you guys about my relationship problems I thought I'd show y'all some screenshots from my top secret game project of which is called Gothic Girl Mary but I can't seem to get the screenshot thing to work right I looked it up in the help files but couldn't find any help there other than how to take one. So if anyone can help I'll show y'all what I've got.

P.S. How do I upload wav files on here so I can let y'all here the music I've got.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Don't upload WAVs. Encode them as MP3's or OGG's first. Then upload somewhere. WAVs are way too big and if you're using WAVs as music in your game the file size is gonna be huge.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#17 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Ok I've got an mp3 of the overworld music for my game made here is the link http://www.mediafire.com/?xmjzh1echbx tell me y'all think as far as my opinion goes it's the best I could do without any instuments but y'all be the judge

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#18 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:32 am

Here it is a pic from Gothic Girl Mary
[img][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5756 ... wu9.th.png[/img][/img]

pass
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by pass » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:44 am

I hope that isn't the sound for the whole game... It sounds a little spooky, and it also sounds like one could be very annoyed by it after the fourth run...

As for the picture, well, your drawing skills are much better than mine... Where did you get the sprites from?

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#20 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:12 am

Well as far as the music goes if I get a new power cord for my keyboard I can make better stuff than what I can make by altering my voice with the sound recorder and the sprites I made myself. The chick is of course named Mary and the little yellow thing is a bad guy called Hell's Cherub so I guess if you have any recommendation on another place to use the music besides the overworld if not I could just scrap the music and worry about it later when I can get a plug. For right now I need to figure out how to get the monsters to attack Mary I'm sure I can figure it out.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by pass » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:23 am

You can try with 'followcharacter' and 'isoverlaping', that might work... Unless they shoot things at her, in which case I'd use a projectile sprite, and use 'isoverlapping' with that. If isoverlapping doesn't work, maybe try to check if the distance is less than x, and activate whatever function if it is.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#22 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:27 am

where do I type that in at

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#23 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:58 am

Okay its time for me to announce some good news and bad news.

Bad news I've given up on making a commercial game
Good news Gothic Girl Mary will be made as a free game due to the fact that  
I have a major lack of funds meaning no money at all. I will on the other
hand someday make a commercial by Seraphim Dreamer Interactive but I
don't know when maybe when I can afford proper tools such as a scanner  
printer combo for my hand drawn skills for better art work also I've got a  
plug for my keyboard and plan on making better music for GGM so I hope
I've got all y'all guys support on this decision and I hope my dream game  
does not fade like most dreams do.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#24 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:01 am

I've just downloaded the new AGS 3.0.1 and unfortunately decided to start over with my game being I couldn't get it to transfer to the new AGS. For some reason it said I made the game with too old of an AGS version so I transfered my music rooms and every thing to a new file and deleted the old version of AGS and now I plan to put it all on the new AGS. Don't worry I only had five rooms and three items and seven Characters made so far. So thats not much to redo and I have all the sprites and rooms backed up in paint so no biggy and by the way I was wondering if I could make a separate thread for the game and game updates being this is a help thread and not an official update thread for my game progress.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by gargin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:08 pm

I really like AGS 3 better than the earlier ones, it has a lot of great features and it is nice that it focuses entirely on scripting. You will notice some other inconveniences like losing Global Messages but it is easy enough to write your own Global Message system.
Anyways, rather than make a new thread you could always do what I did and change the topic title for this one to make it your Q&A thread rather than making a new one. I am in no way associated with AGDI so I am not telling you this with any authority just a friendly suggestion.

It's probably for the best you got out of the Commercial game idea for now, it should be a lot more fun learning the engine if you don't have the pressure of making a commercial quality game. Once you have learned more maybe you can tackle that again. Anyways, feel free to ask if you need any help!

-Gargin-