How to make footprints in snow and stuff

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

How to make footprints in snow and stuff

#1 Post by Fribbi » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:46 am

Long time since I was her. But I have one question.

I am still trying to make a game even I am very hopeless game creator.

But in my Wrong game my character is walking on a thick snow.

So does anybody know how to make footprints in snow and stuff and how to let it fade off with AGS?
Any resource code would be very helpful thanks.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#2 Post by Kurdt » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:47 am

You would have to make a sprite that walked and left footprints behind him that disappeared a few seconds later. Place the sprite where you want it on the screen and there you go. Good luck!

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Music Head » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:41 am

If it's as simple as that I wonder why I haven't seen it in any AGS games :\ .

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#4 Post by Kurdt » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:56 pm

You have, you just haven't noticed that was what you were seeing. For example, the effects of the water rippling behind/around the shark in KQ3? All part of the shark sprite. The effects of Graham splashing through the water in KQ1 and KQ2? All part of the "Graham in water" sprite. Footprints in the snow that disappear seconds after the character makes them would use this technique as well.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Music Head » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:48 pm

But if the footprints are apart of the walking animation then when the charector walks a different direction the footprints already left will just immmediatly disappear. Wouldn't they?

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#6 Post by Klytos » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:07 am

Yeah they would. There are work-arounds for that problem, though I recall it wasn't easy.

We looked at that for KQ3 but it was a LOT of effort for very little reward. I thought about a similar thing for the wet sand as well.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

Registering problem on AGS site.

#7 Post by Fribbi » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:56 am

Darn! I can't ask them in AGS the same question because I can't register myself in bigbluecup.com because the site has moved to another server in yesterday.  :( I just want to learn how to make a fading footsteps
like I saw in the game

The Winter Rose

Btw,have you played that game before? :)

Da_elf
Knight Status

#8 Post by Da_elf » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:02 pm

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/
they have been here for ages now

JWar
Knight Status

#9 Post by JWar » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:41 pm

What about placing a new sprite at every position that the main sprite has just left. The sprite that you leave will be an animation that slowly fades out. This way character direction changes wouldn't matter, as the steps are seperate sprites?

pass
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by pass » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:48 pm

Unless there is a built-in function for that, I do believe splitting them up is your only solution for the turning around problem. You check the character animation for the frames in which you need to leave the footprints (you make a different footprint for each walking direction), and you put it in the character's position, adjusting it as needed (for example - (x+10,y-20)).

I think a good idea would be to leave the footprints until the character leaves the screen - it would be a little easier to script, and it would be a tad more realistic (unless it's currently snowing). But those details are eventually up to you and how you want your game to look like.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#11 Post by Kurdt » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:33 am

I think there's an option to play a "turn" animation when switching views in AGS. I could be wrong (my AGS skills aren't exactly the finest in the land) but I thought I heard something about this.

JWar's idea's a good one, but I think there's a limit to how many sprites are allowed on one screen, aren't there?

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#12 Post by Klytos » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:21 pm

Yeah, turning is an option.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by pass » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:26 pm

"turn" animation, as in "an animation that turns according to the direction of walking"?