Join the Leisure Suit Larry!

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

Join the Leisure Suit Larry!

#1 Post by Axil the Able » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:13 pm

Hey there guys! You all was talking about many legendary games from Sierra and about remakes of those. But how could you all forgot about our passionate superstar Larry Laffer? :) Do you guys know, if there will be remakes of 2nd and 3-rd part of Larry? Those just MUST BE ressurected in VGA versions! Let us vote for our little buddy Larry! :)

- Oh, no! Here we go again...
Last edited by Axil the Able on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 10 times in total.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by gargin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:12 pm

I dont keep as up to date as some of the people here but I do recall someone making a Leisure Larry 2 Point and Click version using the same graphics as the original. Someone had been talking about remaking the third one in the same way but I believe that one fell through. As for a total remake with new graphics I don't believe anyone has taken on those projects.

I agree with you though, I enjoyed all the leisure suit larry adventure games (the new one doesn't count) and would love to relive them some day I have even considered remaking them myself some day but I lack any real graphics talent so I doubt it would ever happen.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:07 pm

Word, brotha.  I'm with you.  LSL2 is my favorite of the series, and I'd love to see a VGA version of it.

Bt

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Axil the Able » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:42 pm

Oh, that's wonderful that you guys still appreciate those games :) Yes, i suppose if KQ2,3 was re-written and even QFG2 modifying now in VGA version, then LSL2 & 3 must be also modified.

Gargin, you said that someone is working on LSL2 now? Yeah, Point'n'Click is a good thing. But what do you mean by 'original graphics'?
You mean the original pictures and graphic style of LSL2 but only in VGA version OR the standard LSL1,5 & 6? Though, the first part graphically is a bit not like 5th and 6th, but anyway, they are very close to each others.

Gargin & Blackthorne 519 I prefer more like LSL 1,5,6. I think that style is much interesting and, uh, kinda like grotesque :) I love those parts very much. The EGA versions of 2nd and 3rd are also good, but i think they are a bit "looked out" if you got the idea... so i think it would be better if LSL2 will be remaked with VGA - Point'n'Click, the same situation, and map, but the graphics would be better look like LSL6 for example. That will be really interesting. And the gameplay will be a bit more new, than just the old version with VGA graphics. Do you agree with me?

Gargin, yeah, that's pity that LSL3 remake project was cancelled... but i think there is nothing to afraid. Some day it WILL be re-written for sure. About LSL8. Right, i don't like that part too. Actually, that is not a part of Leisure Suit Larry at all. Just because it's Vivendi and not Sierra anymore. By the way, do you working in AGS? That is great. I also was trying to make some things in there. I think the beginning was succesful, but i need more practice. The easiest thing in this are graphics. It just need some time to draw all characters, animation, maps and objects. Most of them you can rip from original Sierra games with a little modification. But the script construction and several functional links is a little hard for me for a moment.

Adventure_Knight
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Adventure_Knight » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:50 pm

Here's the download for the LSL2 remake. (Scroll down the page)
http://www.freewebs.com/skimbleshanks/

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Axil the Able » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:06 pm

Adventure_Knight, thank you very much, i saw that remake. But I, i mean WE need not just Point'n'Click version with old EGA graphics, but a game with some other several features. Anyway, it must be the same game with the same old scenario but a graphically converted to VGA and picture shaped like LSL1, 5 or 6. Uh, about LSL6 style yet it's just my own idea and don't know if guys would vote for this. But i think they will agree.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by gargin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:25 pm

The question bout what I meant by original graphics was already answered by another poster so I will just respond to your other questions. Yes, I do "experiement" in AGS a bit, I have never been on any actual teams or been involved in a real development but I have played around with recreating old games using the same graphics for experience.

As per your question about what game it should look like thats pretty hard to say I did like 6 and I felt it played well. At the same time though it was never about the graphics to me it was the humor that always brought me back to playing these games. Al Lowe did an incredible job of pullnig you in and making you laugh.

As for the whole graphics thing your making it seem really easy the way you talk about it but I have never had any luck with graphics. The only things I can really handle is the effects in Adobe photoshop, lol. I don't mind not being able to do it though, I spend most of my time devoting myself to scripting or programming languages because I find those more fun, I like being able to make stuff happen.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by gargin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:49 pm

Sory to post again while I am still the last poster but I tracked down the original post over at Big Blue Cup about Larry 3 being remade point and click. Once again this was an original graphics remake.

http://americangirlscouts.org/bbc.com/y ... pic=8861.0

Also here is the persons website who was creating it.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/timosity/index.php?

This project never officially announced being dead but the last post by someone on the team was I believe in 2004, there is a video you can watch of the gameplay, for some reason they decided to flip all the scenes in the game so its not really a 1:1 remake.

Does anyone know how they might have done the text in this remake? In Larry 3 they had the two different kind of text boxes Narration and Talking. On the narration it was basically just a white box but with Talking it had the name of the person at the top and the text in the bottom along with the ability to move at the same time as someone talked. The only way I have found to duplicate this would be to use a resizable GUI that shows on screen with a picture of the original box inside of it. Doing so looks perfect but it seems a bit bulky.

Any suggestions? This has always been something I was interested in when I messed with Larry 3.
Last edited by gargin on Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Axil the Able » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:49 pm

gargin, so, you do admit my idea about VGA version of LSL2 with LSL6 graphics?

P. S. Oh, sorry, i didn't read your new post. I shall edit this one after i read yours.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by gargin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:25 pm

I am not entirely sure what you mean by I admit the ideas but I have mixed feelings about wether or not it would be good. Let me explain my reason by bringing up some info on the original games.

Leisure Suit Larry was originally intended on being a trilogy but then Sierra wanted Al Lowe to continue the series despite the fact that he ended 3 with a pretty solid ending that didn't really leave any room to work with. To get around this problem Al Lowe skipped 4 and came up with a fresh perspective of larry with some slight memory loss and being single again.

Anyways my point is that in Larry 1-3 the game had a bit more of a serious Vibe which was more suited to a somewhat realistic look. However as the game progressed it got a bit crazier and after they skipped Leisure Suit Larry 4 the games became really zany and in my opinion more suited to a larry 6 type of look.

I am sure these opinions are just my own its probably a strange way to think. Don't misunderstand me I think a remake would be cool with any type of graphics, I just wanted to voice my opinion on the matter.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:31 pm

I think LSL2 and 3 would look fabulous with the off-the-wall cartoony graphics of the LSL1VGA remake and LSL5.

Bt

Adventure_Knight
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Adventure_Knight » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:13 pm

Leisure Suit Larry was originally intended on being a trilogy but then Sierra wanted Al Lowe to continue the series despite the fact that he ended 3 with a pretty solid ending that didn't really leave any room to work with. To get around this problem Al Lowe skipped 4 and came up with a fresh perspective of larry with some slight memory loss and being single again.
So that's why the Leisure Suit Larry lost so much quality after LSL3...

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Axil the Able » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:43 pm

Gargin, oh, i think i understand you. You like the storyline in LSL1-3? But you think it does really matter how this story ends up in LSL3 and then continued in LSL5 & 6 kinda like off-story or something? In that case i think this series may be continued further and further, and i don't really care to much for a storyline. Just a few links from Larry's past may give some chance to make a new part. That is my opinion. Anyway, Larry is Larry, and just his presence in the game cheering up all things without a storyline. And another thing, i think that was not that necessary at all for Al Lowe to give a gossip about mystic part 4 (Missing Floppies). Though, i didn't end up playing LSL3, but anyway, i think that he could name the 5th part as you said with some memory loss just to 4th with some epitaph like "The Other side of Larry's life or the whole new adventures after retirement" and don't confuse many fans of Larry. By the way, you said that first parts of Larry goes a little more realistic because of storyline i think and some clear links between series. That is true, but i did not find the 5th and 6th part that bad. They are just more original and i like those. Well, then again, i like to see a remake of LSL2 & 3 with 1,5,6th-like graphics. And it would look more interesting and new to everyone instead of just a VGA remake with the same art style and point'n'click. And i wish you guys vote for this remake with this like features. Of course, if you agree with those.

P. S. Sorry for my English.

techie775
Knight Status

#14 Post by techie775 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:52 am

Yes it'd be neat to see a remake of lsl2 and lsl3 but I've though about how it would be done before and it leaves me with these questions...

In lsl2vga is Larry supposed to be balder than we see him in lsl5,6?

In the end of lsl2 larry gets all his hair back, would that stick for lsl3vga or would he just look like lsl5 and 6?

For lsl3vga how do you make a 'buff' larry that looks similar to lsl5 and 6?

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Axil the Able » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:55 pm

techie775, answering your questions.
In lsl2vga is Larry supposed to be balder than we see him in lsl5,6?
I think Larry's baldness isn't that important. He just need to be very similar to LSL5 & 6.
In the end of lsl2 larry gets all his hair back, would that stick for lsl3vga or would he just look like lsl5 and 6?
Now, that's an interesting question. But no problem! I don't think it would be to difficult to fill his bald spot with hair. But anyway, even that is not much of importance. The main task is to make a VGA version of 2nd and 3rd part with LSL5/6 graphics, and not much of a sequel. Yeah, the storyline, i know. But all problems can be solved. Just a few links to other prequels and voila. And what the hell, we just can skip those baldy things.
For lsl3vga how do you make a 'buff' larry that looks similar to lsl5 and 6?
We should skip this one. Anyway, i think Larry don't look that sympatic with this buff. Just skip it. Well, anyway, if you insist so, we can vote for a little enlarged tummy for Larry ;)

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Axil the Able » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:04 pm

You know guys, i think i've changed my mind a bit. I think the remakes of Larry should look like the first part - The Land of Lounge Lizards. I think that would be better.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by gargin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:05 pm

I may be a bit confused here but what would be the point of remaking a game and removing all the puzzles or even "some" of the puzzles. You may not recall but the name of Larry 3 is Passionate Patty in pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals, removing the weightlifting part of the game would not only remove a large chunk of puzzles but would nullify the title of the game (Who is gonna chase after a chubby larry?).

Personally I feel a 1:1 remake would be the way to go. Some basic changes I could see being nice like giving an option to skip the bamboo forest (most annoying part of the game)

As for the whole baldness thing its part of the humor of the game so I say it should be kept in. Animating such a thing wouldn't be too difficult for an artist and easily scripted in AGS.

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#18 Post by Axil the Able » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:39 pm

gargin, oh, i did not said nothing about puzzles. Of course they should be kept in. And what the hell, we can keep even the storyline! But i meant, the remake shouldn't look too similar to the old version. What is the point of remaking the game just for VGA and Point'n'Click, and miscellanious dialog boxes and leaving the old art style?
I suppose you saw, how Tierra working on QFG2 now? And they doing a really good job remaking all the graphics from the old one to standard QFG1,3,4. And i think the same must be done to LSL2,3. And that's all. By the way, actually i think such idea about skipping the boring forest is not a very good one too. It just need be a little simplified for new game. That is sad, that you prefer 1:1 remake... In other words, you want the same game but with a bit better looks (256 colors) and more comfortable control. Sorry, i don't see a real point for this... and i'm not sure if someone would go for this. I'm telling you, this games need to look like a whole new games, and not just a little better remake! In that case it will be just a new version of LSL2 or 3 but not a remake at all!
Do you agree with me? By the way, those you want already was in projects, and who want to make a double job?..
Last edited by Axil the Able on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#19 Post by Axil the Able » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:47 pm

I think LSL2 and 3 would look fabulous with the off-the-wall cartoony graphics of the LSL1VGA remake and LSL5.
Yes, that's just the thing i'm talking about. LSL1 or 5... or some elements from 6th..

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by MacGyver » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:27 pm

Another vote on LSL2 and LSL3. Perhaps we can pester Al Lowe to do that  :lol

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#21 Post by Axil the Able » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:08 pm

Yeah, very funny...

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Axil the Able » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:18 pm

Long time no hear! Guys, let us continue to vote for Larry!!!

By the way... those rumors about Tierra remaking QFG2 to VGA are left to be just rumors. I think it's just a joke of some sort. Very cruel joke. They promised that project will be completed in the end of 2006 or in the beginning of 2007. Now it's 2008. Just forget about that bummer's crap.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#23 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:33 pm

Go away.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#24 Post by Erpy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:24 pm

I think that's quite enough, Axil. This time I just deleted that inflammatory reply, but the next time I'll be forced to remove both the flame and its poster from here. Consider that a warning.

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#25 Post by Axil the Able » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:11 pm

As you wish. You may even delete my account, but for now all i want to know is reason that you don't like me. Where did i go wrong? I was telling lies or what? Just true things i was saying, that's all. Or is it very polite for a person to say "Go away" without any explanation, yes?