Altering QG1 and/or QG2

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Legin
Peasant Status

Altering QG1 and/or QG2

#1 Post by Legin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Im looking to mess about with Quest for Glory 1 (EGA) and Quest for Glory 2.  I can open QG1 in SCI Studio but if I do just about anything, the program crashes.  Even trying to open QG2 crashes SCI Studio.

So is there a patch or a work around or a different program I can use?  I dont want to do anything drastic with the game.  Just experimenting at first.  See how to change dialogue and the like.

Alliance
Knight Status

#2 Post by Alliance » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:57 pm

Well, Brian Provinciano DID release the source. SCI Studio VGA. The VGA editor works with QG2, because QG2 was a hybrid, and used more colors than QG1.
Of course, the editor is variously unfinished in parts, and I can't remember whether you can edit sprites or not... (if not, use the stand alone SCI VGA View Editor)

Legin
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Legin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:29 pm

The source doesnt help me.  Its not like I can make programming improvements.  Im hoping theres a patch or workaround or something because as it is I have no idea how people made any games using SCI Studio.  I can look at the sprites, vocabulary, backgrounds, that kind of thing with QG1 but it crashes if I make any change at all to a game.  I cant believe this is considered a finished product.

Ill try SCI Studio VGA for QG2, I guess but Im not holding my breath assuming its written by the same person.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm

because QG2 was a hybrid, and used more colors than QG1.
Not true. It is a hybred game but it doesn't use any more colours than QFG1. It's SCI01 and SCI Studio 3 will only mess with SCI0 games. SCI Studio VGA will work for QFG2, though.

What operating system are you using? It's only guaranteed to run smoothly on XP and the like. Brian himself said that anything Windows 98 and earlier it doesn't work right. But it's still buggy even in XP and still gives error messages from time to time but it's not too bad at all for me as you can still save your work, close, and restart the program and work at it again.

It was never considered a finished product. Brian had always been working on it until he just suddenly stopped because there wasn't enough people using SCI Studio which demotivated him severely. He's working on other things right now, which is why he released the source code for SCI Studio VGA so someone else could work on it. Looks like he's through with SCI. There are others working on other SCI tools with the source code provided, though. SCI Companion is one. But it still has similar errors since it's based on SCI Studio's code, but the difference is someone is actually working on that one.

All that said, if you're trying to change around the scripting code in a game, that's impossible. There is at present no SCI script decoder available. It's a little more complex than AGI.