Jones in the fastlane v2

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pyroman512
Peasant Status

Jones in the fastlane v2

#1 Post by pyroman512 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:08 am

Hello does anyone remember the popular sierra game jones in the fast lane?

I am starting a project to update it with a new improved version with new graphics. Below Drdoomman explains some of our ideas

This picture is the best I have done myself..My graphics coordinator has given me nothing thus far but promises the real screens to be done by the beginning of september

Forum
http://jonesfastlane.proboards54.com/  Forum

website soon...

Progress as of now is not so much..waiting for graphics from our one graphic designer and programming is just starting. I am still trying to assemble a team.

Visit the forums if you are interested
Last edited by pyroman512 on Thu May 31, 2007 12:08 am, edited 7 times in total.

dr_doom_man
Peasant Status

#2 Post by dr_doom_man » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:22 am

Our updated version is going to pretty much take the gameplay that made the original Jones in the Fast Lane so much fun and add to it a variety of new features including updated maps and much more in depth gameplay.  Some possible features include -

-marriage to other characters (maybe, this one isn't definite yet..)
-a variety of new jobs and locations, each with their own unique activities
-a more in depth character creation system
-more events
-more items
-updated graphics
-a new system that allows you to move up to bigger and better cities if you have the money, each with unique locations and jobs
-more reasons to continue playing after you have the best job (which oh by the way will take considerably more effort)
-support for expansion packs and add-ons

it will basically be Jones in the Fast Lane times 10, with more stuff to do, more stuff to buy, just plain more of everything.  Now if anyone is interested in helping, contact either me or pyroman as we need all the help we can get, especially with the graphics and audio. otherwise, just kinda sit back and know that there might be a newer and better version of jones in the fast lane coming out some time in the (hopefully) not too distant future of time and space :)
Last edited by dr_doom_man on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#3 Post by Vroomfondel » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:30 pm

Interesting.....Best of luck to you, I really enjoyed the original Jones in The Fast Lane. Just thinking (typing?) out loud, but your ideas seem a lot like the Sims.

dr_doom_man
Peasant Status

#4 Post by dr_doom_man » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:14 am

Vroomfondel wrote:Interesting.....Best of luck to you, I really enjoyed the original Jones in The Fast Lane. Just thinking (typing?) out loud, but your ideas seem a lot like the Sims.
yeah, thanks.. and as for the second half of your post, i suppose it does have its similarities to the sims, although we aren't really focusing as much on the boring, everyday activities like going to the bathroom as much as we are going to focus on the bigger picture, as in the town/city instead of the house.  it will also remain true to the original in that you will basically look at the map and click to where you want to go, except this time with improved graphics and more stuff to click.  so yeah, i suppose it shares some similarities with the sims in that it will have more replay value and stuff to do, but we are really aiming to keep that original jones in the fast lane feel to it.  

i'll make sure to keep you guys updated on the status of the game if you'd like, but dont expect it to be out for a while yet as it is still in the early stages of development..

pyroman512
Peasant Status

#5 Post by pyroman512 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:42 am

The Sims and Jones in the Fastlane are the same basic type of game but updating it with more features will increase replay value I Know I get bored with doing the same things in Jones in the Fastlane.

rich_eter
Peasant Status

#6 Post by rich_eter » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:03 pm

Good lord, I remember playing this game when it came out back in '91. It may have been Sierra's first VGA game even. It did come out before KQ5 I believe. Does anyone remember that it was first advertised as "Keeping up with the Jones'" but then was changed to "Jones in the Fast Lane" just prior to release? I wonder why that was.

Good luck with it! This will certainly be an exciting release to look forward to.

haradan
Knight Status

#7 Post by haradan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:24 am

Good luck with it! As you have pointed out, Jones was a good game but way too limited, so an expansion can make it rock!

I'd suggest you set up a forum for your game, like those guys doing KQ4VGA, so people can drop their suggestions directly.

pyroman512
Peasant Status

#8 Post by pyroman512 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:06 am

i did make a forum the link is in the first post

haradan
Knight Status

#9 Post by haradan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:59 am

Oops.  :eek  You sure that was there right from the beginning? Time to buy new glasses. Anyway, good luck with it once again!

pyroman512
Peasant Status

#10 Post by pyroman512 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:28 pm

Bad news though, my only graphic artist's computer just died and she won't have one for nine more months. So anyone know where I can find someone willing to helping

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#11 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:55 pm

She's not selling babies for money, is she?

BTW, you aren't technically supposed to use these forums for recruiting people to your team...

pyroman512
Peasant Status

#12 Post by pyroman512 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:46 am

I know I can' recruit people here I wasn't trying I'm just asking if there is a place I can go that has many people who can do graphic arts.