Adventure Games on the Wii?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

Adventure Games on the Wii?

#1 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:00 pm

I just ran across this article on Gamasutra.com (a major game design site) about the idea of adventure games making a comeback through the Wii:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070 ... n_01.shtml
I know, we've been hearing something or other about adventure games making a comeback on a given platform for years, but he may have something here. While $1750 for a wii isn't exactly AGS-level in terms of budget, those determined enough (Himalaya?) could help usher in a new wave.
Finally, he makes reference to Yahtzee (one of my favourite AGS developers) as an example of how there are good developers out there. Anyway, thought the article was cool.

Edit: He also makes an important point about the reward of individual gameplay tasks in adventure games. While he suggests that just being on the wii will fix this, I think this is also an interface design issue, regardless of platform. I think a warioware-style interface (for example) could liven up games on PC and DS too. Maybe as adventure game developers we need to start thinking about more than new puzzles.
Finally (terribly long post, I know), he links to this article: http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,666 - my initial post just assumed you'd click any link in the article, but I'd like to add a recommendation anyway.

Talenos
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Talenos » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:06 am

With the annoucement of WiiPlay, I think this is a serious possibility now.  I'm  starting preliminary work on a next-gen adventure game engine, Microsoft made that really easy with XNA, but Nintendo still requires a bit of a commitment and their tools are still pretty primative.