Writing a game

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

decoy_maloon
Peasant Status

Writing a game

#1 Post by decoy_maloon » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi,

I want to write an adventure game but I lack in some basic game aspect. One of those is the scenario, plot and story.

I wrote a lot on this subject but my work seem drafty and I would like some pointers on writing a good game plot/scenario.

Thanks,

DM

Sinister
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Sinister » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:05 pm

Well Decoy,

If I was starting to design a game this is what I would do;

First determine what size a game you want, make sure that you're not aiming too high (as in making a large scale game).

Get a basic outline of the story and once you have that start mapping out the particular actions you would have to do to complete the game.

Once you have the first draft of the story and a checklist of each action, pull out a peace of paper and start drawing out a room layout. Something with every single room in your game, do little sketches of what the rooms need to look like (small squiggles will do) and then decide where to place each action.

Now, from that you'll have 3 important aspects, the story draft, the action summary and the first game map (room layout).

From there you can move onto Character development, that is fleshing out each character that you made a reference to in the story. Dive into other details such as items and puzzle logic.

After all that is done, you'll have what we'll call the "Design Doc" a guide to what your game will need to start production.

Keep in mind some things happen on "the fly", that is "someone" (a team member) may suggest to do something and thats what you go with.. it wasnt planned but it made the final cut.

Other many random things will happen during your game development, I'll call em flukes or luck, professionals will call it "The Creative Process".
Last edited by Sinister on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

decoy_maloon
Peasant Status

Game design

#3 Post by decoy_maloon » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:31 pm

Thank you. I needed some clear pointers :)

Sinister
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Sinister » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:12 pm

Thanks, and Good Luck.   :)

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#5 Post by Klytos » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:35 pm

I find that I work in a more visual way than a lot of design tutorials I've read, in that I tend to draw a world map and place major NPC's in the world etc before I write the story.

Of course, there still has to be a basic nugget of a story concept in my head to start with, like what sort of world the game is going to be in etc etc.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#6 Post by Kurdt » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:34 am

Story is a tricky customer. If you'd like some good books on writing stories for games, I'd check out "Screenplay" by Syd Field and "Writing for Comics with Peter David" by Peter David. Yes, they're both for different media, but comic books/movies/tv formats for storytelling are strikingly similar and easily translatable to games, especially adventures. Both of these books are clear, concise, and down-to-earth in the nature of storytelling. Other good books to check out are "Story" by Robert McKee and "The Writer's Journey" by Christopher Vogler.

If you're looking for a good example of a design document (the major bible that organizes your entire game), check out this website: http://www.allowe.com/gamedesign/index.htm

Also, here's the way I normally craft a story:

1) I get an idea (durr!)
2) I write as much as I can about that idea and topics that surround it (brainstorm)
3) I write out a beginning, middle, and end (so I know where I start, where I'm going, and where I'll end up)
4) I flesh out the characters (everything from full names and upbringing to favorite ice cream flavor and what he ate for lunch)
5) I flesh out the puzzles/plot, creating a complete outline of events
6) I make maps
7) I WRITE the damn thing! (that is, the actual script with dialog and whatnot)

Some of those steps don't always happen in that order and some of them happen simultaneously (3, 4, and 5 especially). It really all depends on what it is I'm working on. However, that's roughly my process for writing a story. Now go out, be fruitful, multiply, and entertain us with some cool games already! :p

decoy_maloon
Peasant Status

Story

#7 Post by decoy_maloon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:28 pm

Those are really goods advices.

Thanks a lot.

decoy_maloon
Peasant Status

Story structure

#8 Post by decoy_maloon » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:58 pm

While I was writing, I saw an article that describe the form of a story. Beginning, Middle, Climax and resolution. (only the principal)

However, it is a statement made by Aristote way back then... when there was only storytelling in books, chants and dramatics plays.

I was wondering if there is a more actual version of the scripting process, closer to the video-game reality.

When great stories in videogame come to my mind (FF7) I feel it was more complex than the original scripting told by Aristote. However KQ6's story clearly match the traditionnal story telling process.

Can you imagine a template for game development (I made my own but I want to discuss about it)

1.Beginning
2.Character introduction
3.First change (peripetia)
4.Development
5.Second change
6.Climax
7.Resolving change
8.Resolution
9.Back to normal flow of events

Thanks

Decoy

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#9 Post by Kurdt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:32 am

Not really. The only difference between storytelling in Aristotle's day (which was mostly based on plays and not books, though the principles are the same) and storytelling in a game is that you have to put in puzzles and/or combat to move the action along. The typical storyarc works the same. Like I said, check out those books I recommended. They're full of all the information you need to get going. To break down a plot roughly for you, it's about like this (important parts in caps):

1. Start; "The Ordinary World"; this is where you set up the status quo and show the hero as he/she is normally
2. INCITING INCIDENT, or "The Call to Adventure"; something happens that makes the hero have to go on the adventure (ex: KQ5, the castle gets stolen)
3. Rising Action; this is basically the adventure that you go on, and the bulk of the action
4. CRISIS; this is another event that lead or will directly lead to the climax (ex: SQ4, Roger sees his son has been kidnapped and decides to stop running and confront Vohaul)
5. CLIMAX; it all goes down here! The final battle, etc. etc. (ex: KQ6, fake wedding/sword fight with Alhazred)
6. Falling Action; after the climax is over, things begin to fall into place, heading towards the resolution
7. RESOLUTION; everything comes to a close; tie up your loose ends, show your hero in the new status quo he/she's in, wrap everything up in a nice little bow (unless you're leaving stuff open for sequels); THE END

decoy_maloon
Peasant Status

Open ending ?

#10 Post by decoy_maloon » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Kurdt wrote: 7. RESOLUTION; everything comes to a close; tie up your loose ends, show your hero in the new status quo he/she's in, wrap everything up in a nice little bow (unless you're leaving stuff open for sequels); THE END
Just a comment : I'm sick of unfinished stories... every single episode of every show ends with a cliff hanger these days... I want a nice ending with 90% plot wrapped.

Shabutie
Peasant Status

Re: Open ending ?

#11 Post by Shabutie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:11 pm

decoy_maloon wrote:
Kurdt wrote: 7. RESOLUTION; everything comes to a close; tie up your loose ends, show your hero in the new status quo he/she's in, wrap everything up in a nice little bow (unless you're leaving stuff open for sequels); THE END
Just a comment : I'm sick of unfinished stories... every single episode of every show ends with a cliff hanger these days... I want a nice ending with 90% plot wrapped.
Every show? Like TV? Movies? Duh.  Because they want your money ^^  Studies have shown that when these cliff hangers end with a big "whaaaaaaa'ts gonna happen next?!?!," response from you, you'll more likely tune in next season/etc.