QFG-style development (AGS)

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

darkseed
Peasant Status

QFG-style development (AGS)

#1 Post by darkseed » Sun May 27, 2007 12:58 am

Hi, everyone.

I need help with the development of a qfg-style game in AGS. Considering QFG2 VGA remake project is being developed here, I thought that maybe its members could help me a bit. The main problems are the dialog GUI and the combat engine. The details are described in the AGS forum topic below. If anyone could help, I'd be very thankful.

http://new.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.ph ... 402794#new

Thanks in advance!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Sun May 27, 2007 8:23 am

Hmmm....

First of all, check out the QFG2VGA teaser trailer here. It shows a peek of both the dialog system and the battle system.

Is the dialog system as shown in there an acceptable option? If not, what additional things do you need?

QFG1VGA style combat and QFG5 combat are both possible to script in AGS. (although I wonder if QFG5-style combat would really play well in AGS) But battle systems are often something that requires a lot of creative scripting and asking "can U tell me how 2 make a QFG fight in AGS?" will not get you anything, neither on the AGS forums or here. It's way too individual for that.

All I can say is...increase your AGS experience. You really don't want to start on combat before having a good chunk of AGS experience under your belt. I wouldn't start a QFG-game as my first AGS project anyway because of the amount of complex scripting required...you'd be better off creating a more basic game in AGS first and experience the engine's possibilities first-hand. The fact that you're throwing around the term "dynamic sprites" for the situations you're using them in and the fact you're posting complicated scripting issues in the beginners forum gives me the impression you're still very new to AGS. For the love of Pete, start at square 1. You'll be happy you did later. Rome wasn't built in one day either.

Off-topic...you said you were a MAD programmer. Are you with Hero6? That's the only project I've ever heard using MAD.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu May 31, 2007 11:26 pm

Actually Hero6 may not use the mad engine we are reconsidering ags

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#4 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Thu May 31, 2007 11:34 pm

Which engine did you guys use for your tech demos?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:27 am

AsianMusicGuy wrote:Actually Hero6 may not use the mad engine we are reconsidering ags
So you're gonna remake a QFG-game (even though it's one that never got released) in AGS, eh? Heh, good luck with that. You've got a couple of busy years ahead of you. ...we know from experience. ;)