Flux World

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

fluxmaster
Knight Status

Flux World

#1 Post by fluxmaster » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:11 pm

I am pleased to announce the completion of a new game, Flux World.

Flux World is based on the game Flux Warrior, which is still under development.  Flux Warrior will be the first game of a new genre of games that I have created, called Flux-Based Computer Gaming.  A true Flux-Based Computer Game requires 3-D movement and perspective.  Flux World, being a 2-D game, is not a true Flux-Based Computer Game, but it introduces many of the concepts of Flux-Based Computer Gaming, with a user interface more familiar to adventure-game players.

Please go to the Flux World website to download the game and manual.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#2 Post by Fribbi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:30 am

Well I have downloaded the 16 bit version game. How can I hit the dog or that thing with the arrow. But the arrow always flyes aways to left. What am I doing wrong? :p

BTW since you have so much interest in Iceland. Did you know 17 juny is our independence day. Well it is today....and the bad thing about it now it had to be on sunday. So this weekend will be just like the other weekends to me.  :(

(Af hverju get ég ekki hitt dýrið sem ég á að skjóta á en örið fer alltaf lengst til vinstri og hverfur svo í hvert skipti sem ég reyni að skjóta á það?).

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#3 Post by fluxmaster » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Fribbi wrote:Well I have downloaded the 16 bit version game. How can I hit the dog or that thing with the arrow. But the arrow always flyes aways to left. What am I doing wrong? :p
The important thing to remember in this game is that if you aim at the beast you will never hit it, because the Flux will pull your arrows to the side.  It's like shooting at a target with a crosswind.  If you aim straight at the target, the wind will blow your arrows off course.

In the Parallel Flux Universe, you don't try to hit the beast with the arrow.  Rather, you try to hit the beast with a vortex.  You will notice that, no matter which direction you shoot your arrow into, the arrow is always attracted to one of the vortices and disappears into a vortex.  (If you don't see the vortex, then the vortex is off screen, in the direction that the arrow disappears into.)

You will also notice that, every time that you shoot an arrow, the Flux moves in the direction that you shoot your arrow.  So you should shoot your arrows, not in the direction of the beast that you wish to kill, but in the direction that you want the Flux to move.

Here is an example:  Suppose that the beast is in front of you, and there is a vortex to your left.  If you shoot an arrow straight ahead, expecting to hit the beast, the arrow will miss and will be attracted to the vortex to the left.  So, instead, you fire the arrow to the right.  This will have the effect of pulling the vortex over to the right.  Fire a few more arrows to the right, and the vortex will move enough to the right to hit the beast and knock it down.  That is the only way to take down the beast.

The simplest way to determine which direction to aim your arrows is to shoot one arrow and see which direction it goes.  Then shoot your next arrow in the opposite direction from that which the first arrow travelled.  This will pull the vortex in the desired direction.

Are you shooting at the Narulung (the bull) or the Gonthanten (the dog)?  The Gonthanten is the practice beast, and he will roll over and play dead when hit by the vortex.  You should first go to Skefalia and practice with the Gonthanten before going to Troforia and trying to hunt down the Narulung.  If you take too much time hunting the Narulung, he will kill you.  The Gonthanten is your friend; you cannot kill him, and he will not kill you.  He is there to let you practice your shooting skills.

One more thing that I want to mention:  Although the laws of physics are different in the Parallel Flux Universe, this game is not about physics.  The game is one big philosophical analogy.  Every NPC, every weapon, every object in the game is an analogy for something else.  You solve the game by figuring out what each entity in the game is symbolic of.  At the beginning, you're simply hunting down beasts.  But, as the game progresses, you discover what each entity represents.  To learn the nature of the Flux means to figure out the analogy.  By the end of the game, you should have figured it out.  If you haven't figured it out by the end, there is a surprise ending which will give it all away.

The game starts out slowly, and may not seem that interesting at the beginning.  But, as the game progresses, there are more things for the player to do.  This is a completely new genre of computer gaming, so the gameplay may seem unfamiliar at first.  The game has two levels, the second level being more interesting than the first, but the first level is a necessary preparation for the second level.  If you stick it through to the end, you will be greatly rewarded when you reach the ending of the game.
Fribbi wrote:BTW since you have so much interest in Iceland. Did you know 17 juny is our independence day. Well it is today....and the bad thing about it now it had to be on sunday. So this weekend will be just like the other weekends to me.  :(
No, I didn't know the date, but I knew that Iceland was granted independence from Denmark in the 1940's.

Too bad they don't give you Monday off when a holiday falls on a Sunday.  Here in the Parallel Flux Universe we get Monday's off whenever a holiday falls on a Sunday.
Fribbi wrote:(Af hverju get ég ekki hitt dýrið sem ég á að skjóta á en örið fer alltaf lengst til vinstri og hverfur svo í hvert skipti sem ég reyni að skjóta á það?).
My translation:  Of which I can not hit the beast that I ought to shoot at but the arrow always extends to the left and disappears thus each time I try to shoot at it?

Thanks for helping me learn Icelandic, Fribbi.  Let's use English in the public forums and Icelandic in private messages.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#4 Post by Fribbi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:32 pm

Af hverju get ég ekki hitt dýrið sem ég á að skjóta á en örið fer alltaf lengst til vinstri og hverfur svo í hvert skipti sem ég reyni að skjóta á það
Correct English translation: Why can I not hit the animal wich I an supposed to shot at, but the arrow always goes far away to left and vanish in everytime I try to shot at it. :lol

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#5 Post by fluxmaster » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Fribbi is now working on a new sprite for the main character.  Here is what he has done so far:

Any comments?

greensenshi
Knight Status

#6 Post by greensenshi » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:17 pm

Could you possibly post a picture of the not zoomed in version?  Because to me it just looks all blurry.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#7 Post by fluxmaster » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:46 am

Here is the sprite at its normal size:

Here is the sprite at 2X zoom:

The previous image was of the sprite at 6X zoom.

Please keep in mind that, due to sprite scaling, the size of the sprite will vary from 0.5X zoom to 2X zoom.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#8 Post by greensenshi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:35 am

Thank you.  That looks good looking at it in it's normal size.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#9 Post by Fribbi » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Indeed I am working with Fluxmaster.

Here are a screenshot image showing you left, up and front view with updated main character.

Edit.

Here are new edited background image from the game. :D

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#10 Post by fluxmaster » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:40 pm

A new version of the game incorporating the new backgrounds and sprites is now available for download here.

EDIT:  I have uploaded a new version which reduces the scale of the main character in one of the rooms and adjusts the horizon in that room.