Mordavia

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

traveler.in.time
Peasant Status

Mordavia

#1 Post by traveler.in.time » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Hi everyone, I'm not a usual poster on these forums, although I do visit them occassionally.  
Back in 2001, during my first year of college, I started painting some images of Mordavia.  I had just heard about AGS, and had big ideas of creating something of a sequel to QG4.
I soon found out that the world of programming is far beyond me.  Maybe someday I will make a devoted effort, but as of then (and still now) I found the artistic aspect of things far more invigorating.
Anyway, I just stumbled across some  of the images I had painted all those years ago, tell me what you think.

Hope these all work, I have a few more if anyone is interested
Last edited by traveler.in.time on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PValiant
Knight Status

#2 Post by PValiant » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:22 pm

Very nice traveler. i REALLY like these pictures and would certainly like to see the other ones. How did you created these pictures? And do you have some sketches/pictures of a work in progress?

Great work! Are you still interested in creating such a game?

traveler.in.time
Peasant Status

#3 Post by traveler.in.time » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:09 pm

These were watercolor and charcoal images, back when I painted these I did not realise the importance of keeping the image to a scanable size, with the consequence of having to scan each image in three or four parts, and compiling them together in my cheap knock-off version of photo shop.

This image has a skyline that was imposed very unprofessionally.
I stopped working on these backgrounds as finals neared in fall of 01, but started the project up again with new back grounds in 2005.
I'll see if I can find some of those images.

traveler.in.time
Peasant Status

#4 Post by traveler.in.time » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:09 am

These are the same scenes from a more recent attempt.  Each still has a few problems, but on the whole I think they were far more successful than my originals.

PValiant
Knight Status

#5 Post by PValiant » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:43 am

Yes, they indeed look better. There are still some perspective issues, but i really like the overall scenes.

Are you interested in using your skills to actually develop qfgtype games? If so, I think there might be a perfect opportunity. Do you have icq/msn so we could further discuss the options? That is, if you are interested.

traveler.in.time
Peasant Status

#6 Post by traveler.in.time » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:55 pm

These later images were fully watercolor, on appropriate paper (you can actually see the buckling that occurred on the non-watercolor paper of the originals).  Many of the perspective issues were due to the fast rate of production, I didn't give these the time they deserved while I was painting them.
here are a few more, these are my favorites.  I have tons of these I'm afraid, and a whole notebook full of unfinished character sketches.

I may have bumped the saturation and contrast up a little too much, so I might go back and refine them a bit

gamecreator
Knight Status

#7 Post by gamecreator » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:38 pm

:eek
These are quite impressive.  With some tweaking in Photoshop, they could be great in-game backgrounds.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:43 am

all right make 30 more backgrounds and well make the game

also i need a programmer.  [/JodoKast]

But seriously, sir, nice job.  Keep up the good work.

Bt

traveler.in.time
Peasant Status

#9 Post by traveler.in.time » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:46 pm

PValiant wrote:Yes, they indeed look better. There are still some perspective issues, but i really like the overall scenes.

Are you interested in using your skills to actually develop qfgtype games? If so, I think there might be a perfect opportunity. Do you have icq/msn so we could further discuss the options? That is, if you are interested.
Hey PValiant,
are you a programmer?  artist? musician?  writer?
I might be interested in working on a QfG type of game, going through these images has kind of rekindled the desire.
Email or PM me some more info if you get a chance (I don't make it online as often as I would like when I'm out of school)

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Alistair » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:36 am

Hey man,

I'm a major QFG4 fan, which makes me more harsh when commenting on fan works- but I absolutely love this! It's simply quality stuff, and much better than most fanart (although, this is more remakes of the original images rather than something new, I guess).

Still, wonderful work. I hope to see more if you ever work on any(possibly any battle scenes or castle images? :P ).

- Alistair

traveler.in.time
Peasant Status

#11 Post by traveler.in.time » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks, the very original images were done by memory, sitting in my dorm room without a computer all those years ago.  The newer and better quality images were done off of a brief sketch of the scene, which was left intentionally vague to allow for artistic style.  
When I compare them next to the QGIV originals I find these to be lacking in a lot of detail, but on their own I am quite pleased, I think their style holds merit.
I did have a couple of castle images finished (or nearly finished) I'll see if I can find them.
I also had a fully maneuverable Igor sprite that I am still looking for.

Below are a couple of concept sketches for a couple of extra screens within the town:

Image  Image

Chief
Knight Status

#12 Post by Chief » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:32 pm

Very good work, impressive. i love them.. keep up the good work dude!

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#13 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:39 am

I liked your last ones the most. Raw charcoal, right?

If you are interested in creating a brand new adventure game, make it known. You would be a useful asset to a team as art director.
I have many ideas for a story, and can write a script if the art is good enough.
Forget about me. You are a badass background creator, even in the raw form.

Talenos
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Talenos » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:17 am

I like your stuff. I'm looking at creating a adventure game engine for the Xbox 360, and if you're interested in donating some art for my testing purposes that'd be really cool. It'd be better than my programmer art.

traveler.in.time
Peasant Status

#15 Post by traveler.in.time » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks for the good feedback, I'm still going through some of my old folders and finding more of these paintings, although these are most of the finished ones.
I compiled a small  website here: http://traveler.in.time.googlepages.com/home
if anyone would like to check it out.  Any more work that I find I will try to post there as well.

As far as new projects go, I might be interested in contributing something.  If you would want to email me with some more information, I'll see what I can do.
School will be starting again in about three weeks, and I will again have full time access to the Internet.  Until then I should have some time to paint, so let me know.

traveler.in.time
Peasant Status

#16 Post by traveler.in.time » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:53 am

I just touched up the castle image a little, the paint was too thick and muddy when I found it, so I went back and pulled out some of the color.  
It's kind of a fun experience trying to manipulate the pigment of 2-3 year old paintings.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#17 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:38 am

All very nice, shame the flowers didn't last when Erana's staff was removed.