Scripting VS more areas is there a performance difference?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

gargin
Royal Servant Status

Scripting VS more areas is there a performance difference?

#1 Post by gargin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:18 pm

Hello, I am working on a point and click remake for a game for fun and experience and I have been wondering about performance. To give an example let us assume there is a fireplace in the room and we want to have two difference messages displayed depending on where you click on the fireplace. I could compress this all into a couple lines in a script or make two seperate Hotspots with different look actions.
So my question would be are there any performance issues that you know of that would arise from using these methods?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I apologize if this is a really dumb question :)

-Gargin-

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:50 pm

The easiest thing would be to use two different hotspots. You could use one hotspot, along with some scripting to check the position of the mouse. I don't think there is any signifcant advantage to this though. You might use the scripting if you run out of available hotspots.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#3 Post by Klytos » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:02 am

I'd agree with Navy, the only real issue would be if you are going to have a lot of hotspots, in which case go for the scripting option.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:33 am

Performance-wise, I doubt it'd make a difference. QFG2VGA usually has repeatedly_execute scripts of hundreds or even thousands lines of code running and it doesn't seem to cause slowdown.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by gargin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:05 pm

Cool, I figured it wouldn't make much of a difference but I figured it was best to make sure now than to make the entire thing and find out I made it improperly. Thanks for the responses!

-Gargin-

rich_eter
Peasant Status

#6 Post by rich_eter » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:26 am

Good to know, Erpy. I always do my damnest to never include anything in repeatedly_execute if I can help it. Sometimes, you have to though. But, knowing you have hundreds of lines of code in there without slow down makes me feel much better.