Need some AGS help

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

Need some AGS help

#1 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:21 pm

First of all, I'm using AGS version 271, if you care. I'm using the sierra style with background (portrait) text... but I can't seem to get the text colors to change based on the numbers I give the character speech. They seem almost arbitrary. I am using a 16-bit depth to the game, if that makes a difference to you. So yeah, that's annoying.

Also, is there a way to have more than one script in dialog_request, or am I stuck with just one? If so, how do I add more? I can't seem to figure it out and my help file no longer works. It's lovely. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

- Tom

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Need some AGS help

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:42 pm

dungeonsofdorks wrote:First of all, I'm using AGS version 271, if you care. I'm using the sierra style with background (portrait) text... but I can't seem to get the text colors to change based on the numbers I give the character speech. They seem almost arbitrary. I am using a 16-bit depth to the game, if that makes a difference to you. So yeah, that's annoying.
I think the text color you need to change is the one in the GUI you're using for your text window, rather than the color of the character's speech.
Also, is there a way to have more than one script in dialog_request, or am I stuck with just one? If so, how do I add more? I can't seem to figure it out and my help file no longer works. It's lovely. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Basically something like this:

Code: Select all

function dialog_request(int value) {
  if (value==1) Display("Script 1 executed.");
  if (value==2) Display("Script 2 executed.");
  if (value==3) Display("Script 3 executed.");
Etcetera. In your dialog script, you simply state "run-script 1" or "run-script 2" and so forth and so on...

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Heheh... I'm not using a GUI yet for my text window, as I don't have a suitable outline image. Also, all the characters have different text colors... they just don't change when I change the numbers. Also, they're hideous.

Oh, and thanks for the script help. Hopefully that works.  :D

EDIT: I am using run-script 1 in my dialog script... but in dialog_request it says it doesn't understand "value". I'll keep trying to do things with it, but any other help would be great. Thanks a lot, Erpy.

- Tom

EDIT again: I just figured out the text thing. Ha. Sorry, I'm stupid. Still stuck on that script bit, though.

EDIT AGAIN!: It seems to be PARAMETER. Hooray. I'll double check it, but we'll see. Billy.

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:21 pm

OKAY. I got it. Finally. My help file works again.

After your dialog's initial "run-script #"

Code: Select all

if (parameter==1) {
character[EGO].Walk(210, 133);
Wait(40);
character[EGO].ChangeView(13);
character[EGO].Animate(0, 4, eOnce, eBlock, eForwards);
character[EGO].Animate(0, 4, eOnce, eBlock, eBackwards);
character[EGO].ChangeView(1);
character[EGO].FaceLocation(320, 133);
Wait(40);
}

if (parameter==2) {

character[DROID1].Walk (240, 131,eBlock, eAnywhere);
}
and so forth. hopefully this makes sense to anyone else who needs it. Thanks again for getting me to work this out, though, Erpy!

- Tom