Walk behinds?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pass
Royal Servant Status

Walk behinds?

#1 Post by pass » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 am

I just downloaded AGS 3, and I might be doing something wrong, but the walk-behind area I specified doesn't seem to do anything. The character just goes right over it, as if it were normal background. I set it's baseline to -1 (the default), and I also tried 1 and -3, but those didn't work either. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Also, music doesn't seem to work. Not the automatic music0 which should play, not the music I specified in the room options, and not even using PlayMusic(); .

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:31 pm

If your walkbehind is, for example, a pillar and the character you want to appear behind it is, like, at y=160, you'll need to set its walkbehindbase to 161 at least.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the music. Did you put the mid/mp3/ogg file into the music folder of the game?

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#3 Post by Klytos » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:59 pm

Did you compile the VOX files?

pass
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by pass » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:03 pm

walk-behind now works (i looked at it as if 0 was at the bottom of the screen, when in reality its at the top).

Music: Yes, they are .MID files named MUSIC0 through 2, and they are inside AGS\Game_name\Music. Windows can play them with WMP, and my speakers are on, in case you were wondering...  :p  Maybe the game needs to be compiled as .exe for the music to work?

BTW I'm not sure, but I think 'Sounds' don't work either...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Naw, that's not it. Whenever you test the game with CTRL-T, it already compiles it into an exe. You mean you can't play any sound/music at any place in your game?

pass
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by pass » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:14 pm

Whoops, my bad. My music file just has 5 seconds of quiet before it starts playing... and I put 0 in the general settings in the sound to play when a point is scored, but 0 means disabled... renamed it to 1 - works now :)
Thanks!

pass
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by pass » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:16 pm

Umm... Cancel that. Sounds work, but the music (that did work a second ago) doesn't work anymore.
I have PlayMusic(0); inside game_start(), I commented it to see if it still plays without it (only with the 'PlayMusicOnRoomLoad' set to 1 (music1 is a copy of music0)), and it didn't. I uncommented it, and it still doesn't work! and neither do other rooms with PlayMusicOnRoomLoad set to 2 (my other music file) when I enter them.
I'm guessing it's something I'm doing wrong, just can't figure out exactly what...

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#8 Post by Klytos » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:12 pm

From further comments it doesn't sound like it's the problem, but AGS 3 doesn't compile the game into an exe like v2 did, for testing purposes. That's why I suggested the compiling of the vox files might be needed.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by pass » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:15 pm

It says only mp3, ogg and wav files get compiled into .vox files. Nevertheless, I tried build exe and rebuild all files, and neither made the music work. As I said, sound works, music doesn't.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by pass » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:31 pm

Just tried testing it with GetCurrentMusic() and IsMusicPlaying(), and the correct music files are played at the correct times, but I can't hear anything. I tried using SetMusicVolume(3) and SetMusicMasterVolume(100), but those didn't work either.

I double checked, and my speakers are on, sound plays (in the game), the music files were unchanged and still work, and I am waiting sufficiently for the music to start playing.

Any ideas, anyone?