AGS- learning the tool & language

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Allergic to Katta
Peasant Status

AGS- learning the tool & language

#1 Post by Allergic to Katta » Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 am

I'm thinking about using AGS to build games rather than "Game Maker" (owned by "YoYo Games").

Can anyone give me an idea how long it would take to learn the basic functions of the language?  

Also, how many people are working on coding @ AGDI?

Here's a tough one...  how many hours have been spent on each Sierra remake for coding/programming alone?  

I'm trying to get an idea of the speed of the tool and the common ability to easily learn the language. I know I could "just" go for it and get a feel for it myself... but I guess I'd rather find out from someone who already knows what it takes to make a "full" game using AGS.

Thanks

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Tue May 20, 2008 7:49 am

If you already have some basic (very basic) knowledge of C, you should pick it up in no time. The basic language is very simple. The biggest challenge is getting familiar with all the functions you can use. That's memorizing, really.

At AGDI, there's 2 people active in the scripting department.

As for hours...more than you could imagine. I would say on average, if you'd like spend about 4 hours a day on it consistently, it'd still take you about 1.5 year or so to get a basic Sierra remake up there. And that's not an estimate you can quote me on. :)

Allergic to Katta
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Allergic to Katta » Tue May 20, 2008 1:05 pm

Sounds good.  That's actually pretty encouraging...  

Thanks Erpy :D