The Game Making Process

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

gargin
Royal Servant Status

The Game Making Process

#1 Post by gargin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:18 pm

Hey Guys, I was just wondering how you handled your development on the games you have made. Do you make all the rooms with basic interaction first or do you tend to just try to make a room with all possible events before moving on to the next? This is something I have been trying to decide upon myself so I figured I would ask the pros.

-Gargin-

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: The Game Making Process

#2 Post by Erpy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:02 am

Try to set up the basic rooms first, with walkable areas, hotspots and walkbehind masks. Then slowly add stuff to them. Since situations and/or puzzles often span more than one room, it'd be impossible to completely finish one room before even having the others in prototype stage.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

Re: The Game Making Process

#3 Post by Klytos » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:35 am

In my experience, I usually make the world completely walkable to start with. For example, when we (Infamous Adventures) remade KQ3 I made the whole land of Llewdor so it was walkable, all the room entrances / exits, walkbehinds, walkable areas, special entry stuff (walking into distance etc). Then I added animations, waterfalls, mama bear in her garden, birds flying around, sea shore, smoke from chimneys etc. Then the actual quest parts like scooping the thimble through the flowers, Manannan's appearing code, etc etc.

That seemed to work for me.