Heroine's Quest is back

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Corby
Royal Servant Status

Heroine's Quest is back

#1 Post by Corby » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:21 am

Hi there, don't mean to step on any forum rules, but just a little announcement that Heroine's Quest is not dead. Well it did die... but now it's back! I've been bringing it back behind the scenes, so really it's just me drawing backgrounds for the moment.

Anyhow, the screenshots:

same website of course: http://www.corbydesigns.com/hq

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

Re: Heroine's Quest is back

#2 Post by oughtobe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:34 am

thats looks kinda cool... any scripting been done? has the plot been written out?

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Dasilva » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Wow! That actually looks pretty decent! If you emulate QFG4's gamestyle it would be perfect. =)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Yea that looks pretty good!

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by JustLuke32 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:35 pm

Looks great. I'd play it!

Remind me of Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:59 pm

JustLuke32 wrote:Remind me of Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate.
You're not the only one. The Heroine has visual elements of both Zanthia and Sophia Hapgood from Fate of Atlantis. The environment is far more Kyrandia-esque, though.

Good to see you back, Corby. In the spirit of current threads on these forums, when's the release date? :p

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Corby » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks! Good to be back! I've always favored kyrandia style art, more crisp and clear. I think I'm better doing art this way as opposed to the slightly more blurry Sierra style.
Heroine sprite is still based on Zanthia. Willing to change that if I were to get a sprite artist. I just don't have the sprite making skill I've found. Hopefully the old teamates will get back on board. Need writers and coders too. (not trying to advertise! :) )
Release date? I've been lurking here the past month so... soon?

Anyone on the same thought pattern here and feel a Norse Mythos setting would make a great QFG game?

cyberdalekyeti
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by cyberdalekyeti » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:39 am

I am glad this game will be back but i have a few questions. Just wondering when will the forums be up on the heroine's quest website ? Will you have a speech pack with this game? And finally will you be able to save your character at the end of the game just in case there is a sequel in the future ?

John

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Corby » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:58 am

I guess I'll put up the forum link soon. I have some cleaning up to do in there. The forums are still there, just no link.
Saving character at the end, for sure! Speech pack? That'd be great too, I just don't know for sure at this point.

Ikkyu Sojun
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Ikkyu Sojun » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:24 am

Wow, Corby - those screenshots look excellent! I don't have much in the way of abilities as far as sprites / art is concerned - but I love the idea of a heroine as an Ego for a QFG-like game.

You mentioned needing a writer (or writers)... I'd be more than happy to help in that area of a game... anything along the lines of writing dialog / coming up with character ideas / ideas for sub-quests, etc... coming up with names... anything... I'd love to help you in those areas...

what's the overall idea for the plot?

Ikkyu Sojun
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Ikkyu Sojun » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:27 am

oh... and in that last screenshot - the gazebo kinda reminds me of the portal to Erasmus's place in QFG5... hehe...

I love those backgrounds, though, they're top-notch...

crimsonmansion
Peasant Status

#12 Post by crimsonmansion » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:01 pm

Glad they are back up and running, I recall playing the demo awhile ago and found it very creative and interesting. Hope they can get more talented individuals to help out and finish this great game!

Kotskoets
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by Kotskoets » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:23 am

I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS GAME'S GLORIFICATION OF DRUG ABUSE

Just a lil joke it looks great so far.

GloomSaber
Peasant Status

#14 Post by GloomSaber » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:19 am

I think your idea of havin a female as the lead is an apporpiate thing to do for a HQ fangame.. I mean, other than IF's project on a villian, I do not think there is anythin one can do to with a fan game of QG unless one makes the ego a different ethnic group. Unlike other sierra games, The quest series is over in regards to the "Devon Aidendale", so I would think it hard.

Would your game be a spinoff in terms of storyline (havin locations and villians like Baba Yaga being referenced) or just in spirit (the game has no relation to the other ones other than gameplay)?

Lastly, I think it is an amazing ideal to make the female a lead. Sadly, I can see a few ppl in the fandom community being irated to play as a female character. I recall people being pissed that the lead in FFXIII is a female. A bit ignorant especially because Final Fantasy VI had a female character as the main focus. I personally love playin as female protagonist since not all games should be the same and l like playin games where it isnt a stereotypical guy all the time.

crimsonmansion
Peasant Status

#15 Post by crimsonmansion » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:39 pm

Wow, I can't believe someone wouldn't play a game based on the gender of the lead character...what Fem Dom fantasy planet have I been living on? :rollin

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#16 Post by DrJones » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:59 pm

The graphics are wonderful!! I sincerely hope that the scripting of the game is at least half as good as the graphics are, for this has the potential of becoming a classic. Best luck with your game! :D

EDIT: AACK!! How can you work so hard 4 years on the sprites, backgrounds and whatever with just a basic trace of the plot, which is also heavily borrowed from the first Quest for Glory?! That's bloody murder!! I'm not going to force you to deviate any bit from your vision, but I see you are on recruiting mood and I offer myself to aid you in writing/designing something cool for this little gem, and you can dump me at anytime with no extra costs. :p

If interested, send a pm.

hypn
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by hypn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:07 am

Cool :D

I'm generally really busy, but would be kinda keen to help with coding/scripting (time permitting) - are you making it in AGS?

soulfire
Peasant Status

#18 Post by soulfire » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:35 pm

I think a Norse theme would be awesome, it's one genre the QFG series missed. Happy to help in writing, I'm nowhere for coding. lol.

GloomSaber
Peasant Status

#19 Post by GloomSaber » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:17 am

crimsonmansion wrote:Wow, I can't believe someone wouldn't play a game based on the gender of the lead character...what Fem Dom fantasy planet have I been living on? :rollin
So true. I recall at a CAstlevania forum that I frequent regularily, that there was a poster who claimed that any media whereas the female as a lead is fiction. He argued that in reality, women are inferior to men in strength and women cannot hold her own in a battle. Luckily, the poster was bashed with histrocial non fiction events of heroic women that were physically strong.

Personally, I am sick of ppl who thinks anything that doesn't involved a caucassian man as a lead cannot occur in real life.

If ya look at the forums about FFXIII or any old game with a new female lead, you will read some ppl's hatred towards it.

GloomSaber
Peasant Status

#20 Post by GloomSaber » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:20 am

soulfire wrote:I think a Norse theme would be awesome, it's one genre the QFG series missed. Happy to help in writing, I'm nowhere for coding. lol.
I agree with soulfire that a Norse theme would be a good thing to do, corby. It is a theme that the Coles have not done and there is a lot of reference to use in Norse mythology.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:26 pm

GloomSaber wrote:I agree with soulfire that a Norse theme would be a good thing to do, corby. It is a theme that the Coles have not done and there is a lot of reference to use in Norse mythology.
Incorrect. The Coles never based an entire game around Norse myth, but it was mentioned in passing in the first game. The Frost Giant Brauggi from Jotunheim is a major Norse reference.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by gargin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:24 pm

I just wanted to say the graphics look great Corby and the Norse theme would be a good touch. Really looking forward to seeing how this project develops!

I am currently devoted to my own project but if you need someone to write out some occasional code for you until you get a lead programmer feel free to drop me a PM.

Gargin

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:26 pm

I'd like it better if you made your own sprite, instead of using a recolored version of Zanthia.

Dhraiden
Peasant Status

#24 Post by Dhraiden » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:22 am

Yay, I lurv Zanthia =p

I think a QfG style game w/ a female PC would be too cool =) Maybe we could get to change the PC appearance's enough to have different colored hair but blonde is good too ^^

EDIT: I went to the website (since the embedded image links don't pix no more in the thread itself up top) and I like the design of the female lead..seems awfully chesty to me, tho'...........n on top of that, her (very nice) (but very exposed) decolletage doesn't seem like good Hero Sense to me =p. If she takes her cues fr Glorianna..Elsa Von Spielburg would have no trouble skewering your Heroine thru in a heartbeat! :\

EDITEDIT: not looking @ the front page drawn art itself but the sprite looks really way too cool ..I still think the pixelated cleavage line is abit much (jus cuz it's a..little eety bitty sprite..cleavage line calls too much attn to itself) not against a hint of cleavage in game/art but in a game with purposefully ''aged''/retro graphics it seems..forced to have it. IMho, of course. I am still happy projets like this are underway!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#25 Post by DrJones » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:50 pm

I remember he also used parts of Sophie Hapgood on his design. And from what I've read, the backgrounds were reused from another project, too. That doesn't mean it couldn't end being a good fan game, though.