Does open source exist for QFG1,2?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

icelevistus
Peasant Status

Does open source exist for QFG1,2?

#1 Post by icelevistus » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:29 am

As some of you probably know, a fan remake of QFG1 (using the VGA version) was released sometime around 2001. This version completely overhauled the game with new characters, coding, and whatnot to make it into a whimsical cocktail of comedy as the hero revisits Spielburg. I would assume that this feat required access to the original source code.

And now of course, AGD has remade QFG2 as a VGA. I'm not sure whether they had access to the source code.

My question: is it possible to obtain the source code for QFG1 and QFG2?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Does open source exist for QFG1,2?

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:39 am

You're talking about QFG4 1/2? It wasn't a remake of QFG1VGA...it was an alternate-reality parody of that game. I wouldn't say that making such a game required the original source code, since QFG4 1/2 didn't really have a stat system or any of the inner mechanics of the first game. So all that was required were screengrabs.

But no, the source codes to any Sierra game are not open source, nor are they available. I'm not even sure Sierra still has them.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:21 am

Erpy wrote:But no, the source codes to any Sierra game are not open source, nor are they available. I'm not even sure Sierra still has them.

They do not. Otherwise the Vivendi Sierra collections would have been a lot more impressive.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#4 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:52 am

Even if they had the old code, they dumped all the programmers who used to know its ins and outs and little tricks, and they probably wouldn't want to bother having someone new decipher it.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:29 am

I wonder whatever happened to all that source code, and Sierra's Propriety software....

Bt

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:23 am

According to Al Lowe, a ton of stuff was dumped in the dumpster (some was really innovative and original technology that was worth tons of money) without caring what it was.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:45 am

That just hurts my heart. A lot.

Bt

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#8 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:13 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:According to Al Lowe, a ton of stuff was dumped in the dumpster (some was really innovative and original technology that was worth tons of money) without caring what it was.
Hmm, in the trash = public property = finders keepers? (if you can find it now)

Sandsai
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Sandsai » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:49 pm

Schloss Ritter wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:According to Al Lowe, a ton of stuff was dumped in the dumpster (some was really innovative and original technology that was worth tons of money) without caring what it was.
Hmm, in the trash = public property = finders keepers? (if you can find it now)
Depends how it was dumped. If it was shredded or some similar efforts were put into place prior to being dumped then no, its not finders keepers. If they just took the boxes with the stuff in it all intact and dumped then pretty much yes, you could arguably say they put this into the public domain and thereby waived their rights.