A question about determining character size/resolution

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

schemingsanity
Peasant Status

A question about determining character size/resolution

#1 Post by schemingsanity » Sat May 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi guys, I just have one question! I'd like to say that it's a quick question, but I have no idea whether or not it really is.

When making characters for games, is there a particular pixel-size that's standard for character creation? I mean in the real world you have a 7ft person that can be considered gigantic, and a 3ft person that's considered tiny... and a person in the 5 or 6ft range that might be considered in somewhat average ranges... but when you're making a game that's in that 320x200 resolution, how do you determine that kind of people-sizing for your game? I mean what's an average size for a character? What's too tall and what's too tiny?

Any help that people can give me on this topic would be greatly appreciated, so thank you! :D

adeyke

Re: A question about determining character size/resolution

#2 Post by adeyke » Sun May 24, 2009 6:55 am

To put it simply: they have to be to scale with the background. If you have a relatively panoramic scene, you might need a very small character, while if you have a small room filling the screen, you might need a bigger one. If you have both kinds of scenes in the game, you might need to have both (KQ4 and SQ3 are examples of games that do that).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: A question about determining character size/resolution

#3 Post by Erpy » Sun May 24, 2009 9:24 am

Basically take the biggest incarnation of the character you'll need and go with it. If there's a smaller room in your game where he's drawn fairly large, that's the standard. Scaling down is something most engines can do for you, but you never want to have a situation in your game where a character is scaled beyond 100%. (you'll get pixel-o-rama) Like adeyke said, the character should fit in with the backgrounds in the game.