QFG6 Anyone?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AGDIForever
Peasant Status

QFG6 Anyone?

#1 Post by AGDIForever » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:04 am

Err umm, assuming all the legality issues have been worked out.... would anybody be interested in working on a QFG6 in modern 3D?

Purely hypothetical.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: QFG6 Anyone?

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:47 am

Not in 3D, but this has been in the works since Sierra's (first) demise.

http://www.hero6.com/

AGDIForever
Peasant Status

#3 Post by AGDIForever » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:05 am

Yes, but it never got finished. Besides, if Sierra were to make it (and I'm sure they would have if the original crew were still around today) then they would definitely go 3D. But Hero6 is damaging the Quest for Glory series IMO. Their graphics may be nice but Sierra always chose the more advanced technology (just look at KQVIII). But if you don't believe me or you think that Sierra going 3D was the cause of their demise then I'm guessing either you've never played a good 3D game or you think QFG would be better as 2D. In either case, it would be difficult for me to explain to why 3D would not harm but rather aid any game. But the bottom line is: a 3D world is generally more interactive than a 2D world. And not to mention more flexible, as you have the freedom to look where ever you choose.

Right now the closest thing to a 3D quest for glory is Marrowind or Oblivion, but sadly, both of those games fall short of the "quest" aspect that we all enjoyed about QFG. The thing about QFG is that even when you didn't know what to do next, you still knew the general procedure to find out (visit Aziza, Keapon Laffin, Harik, Guild Hall, etc.) Well, for those of you who have played you'd understand. Basically, you were never given direct objectives, even when you asked others in the game (the game always kept you guessing).

So yeah, I probably liked the aspect where you actually have to use your brain. And you have to interact in order to get clues, kind of like a Sherlock Holmes mystery. I think most modern games lack that aspect.

R.I.P. Sierra

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Lady Pyro » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:19 pm

I don't think a lot of that is fair to say.
I've played plenty of good 3D games, and agree that I'd prefer hero6 in the older style. I think it would feel like a real sequel to the classics that way, not just an upgrade.
And saying that Hero6 is damaging the series is just out of line. It takes a long time to produce a non-commercial game and from what I've seen, what they do have done looks very VERY nice. And if you were to make a 6th game, I can almost guarantee it would take just as long if not longer, assuming you were trying to match the quality of the old games.
You're depending on a lot of people spending a lot of time doing things for free, things get slowed down, deadlines get missed. You have to deal with the fact that your team is comprised almost entirely of humans, and humans have lives that sometimes interfere with the production of a volunteer project.

You've also made a lot of assumptions that can be taken as insults. I like to think it's because you're passionate about this project you have in mind and want to convince people to get on board with you, which is fine. But bear in mind insulting another project is not the same as promoting yours.
Show us something you've done better. Some of your environment sketches or level designs. Maybe a couple 3D renders to show us why your 3D concept would be more interactive, technological sound or otherwise advanced over that of a 2D version.
If you don't have anything to show, I think you should get started if you're as serious as you sound about all this.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#5 Post by Klytos » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:13 am

The thing to keep in mind is that Hero6 isn't a continuation of the QFG series. It's just inspired by it. So to say it gives the QFG series a bad name or whatever is not just a bit harsh, it's really just irrelevant. It's like saying the Toyota Hilux gives the Ford Barina a bad name. Similar because they're both cars, but the similarity ends there.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#6 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:03 am

Hero6 has been around for over 10 years now. In all honesty, I sorta figured it might never get completed.

Also there's nothing really wrong with 3D graphics. The big problem is not with the graphics themselves, but during the early days of 3D games, the technology was very primitive and far from perfect. There were lots of complains about old 3D games, but I think that by this point, most of the issues have been solved and you could probably make a very good 3D QFG game if it were done.

The only problem is, the fairly linear adventure game concept would probably be gone. Let's face it, when you play Oblivion or Morrowind, you do it because of the HUGE world within. Oblivion might have been technically 'smaller' than Morrowind, but it sure had a ton more detail than you could possibly imagine. Also let's not forget the sheer modability of Morrowind and Oblivion. By this point, most game developers are thinking 'hey, let's make this game super modable, that way we can do less work on the actual game and let the fans add what they want to it.'

This isn't a far fetched concept. Spore was done with this idea of sharing in mind. But I digress.

If we did have a new QFG in mind, what I would like it is to have it more along the lines of a massively single-player adventure/RPG. It would have a coherent story to tell with a main villain, but at the same time have sidequests, a country side to visit, and be fairly interactive in its scope. Why not have the hero chop down a tree, make firewood, build a boat, grind wheat into flour, use that flour to make bread, etc,etc. I know that I'm starting to make the game sound more like an Ultima game, but I think it could still work with it in mind. To top it all, I think that it was every single adventure gamers dream to be really able to see every location in the game. Maybe this is the whole appeal of the sandbox genre like GTA and others, the whole appeal of freedom.

If anything else, the thief will have plenty of work to do. :p

Till next time stay cool 8))

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:29 am

Hero6 has been around for over 10 years now. In all honesty, I sorta figured it might never get completed.
One of the major factors that kept Hero6 going all those years was the large overhead and the constant renewal of members. It's difficult for a project to die off if new people join in all the time. But it's also hard for a project to get anywhere if the game plan changes all the time. Some time ago one of their admins said the project went underground and was now being worked on by a small core team of members. That means it's easier to set things in stone, but it also means the game gets to rest on only a handful of shoulders, just like any other fanteam, meaning that if demotivation kicks in (and another post from a dev on their forum indicated something like that) no more member renewal means the game stagnates and eventually grinds to a halt. There were speculations on this forum that the project might officially die this month, since the domain was set to run out on the 10th anniversary of the site. The domain was renewed with a few more years recently, but I'm not sure if that's actually a development.

Truth be told, I'm not too fond of the sandbox principle myself. I guess the "go anywhere you want, do anything you want"-principle appeals to some people, but I actually like some linearity in a game...it gives me more the impression I'm actually going somewhere. And thief quests are a lot more special BECAUSE you can't break into every other house in the game. I suppose a new QFG would either be that or a MMORPG though, since that's what sells well these days.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#8 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:34 pm

Truth be told, I'm not too fond of the sandbox principle myself. I guess the "go anywhere you want, do anything you want"-principle appeals to some people, but I actually like some linearity in a game...it gives me more the impression I'm actually going somewhere. And thief quests are a lot more special BECAUSE you can't break into every other house in the game. I suppose a new QFG would either be that or a MMORPG though, since that's what sells well these days.
I wouldn't really like it to be an MMORPG. I actually think those games are a big waste of time. I've spent quite a bit of time myself on a certain online RPG (it was free though) and the only benefit I got from it was that I could have easily gone out and done some more worthwhile (and productive) activities with my life instead of wasting it there.

Of course, I'm not really looking for it to be exactly that way. Like I said, I was thinking of Ultima in terms of interactivity, but Ultima also had a very coherent story, too. In Ultima 7, you could free-roam as much as you want in the game before even starting the main quest, but in Ultima 7 Part 2, most areas were locked off and you had to follow a very strict story-line despite having fundamentally the same internal workings. In any case, Ultima 7 Part 1's main story did NOT take you everywhere, but they had an already established world to work with, so they included them even if most of it is not necessarily related directly to the main game.

But I digress as usual, anyways, a QFG 6 doesn't strictly have to be a sandbox box game. QFG always had linear gameplay with some freedom (let's face it, in QFG 1, the game was practically pressure-free, you could do whatever you wanted, with only Bernard's rescue setting some events in motion, and even then, nothing would happen until you go to attack the Brigands. QFG 2 was the only game to feature a set chain of events, but you could do whatever you wanted in the meantime. QFG 3, while technically feeling pressured to get it over with fast (negotiations looming over head and all), you could still take your time and go where you want. QFG 4 is similar, with a lot of stuff being dependent on you, in QFG 5, nothing happens until you start the rites, and even then, once in the rite of Justice or peace (I think) you can take your sweet, sweet time since these are not timer-based rites where you need to hurry up least Elsa or Gort beat you to it.

That kind of cohesion would be very good, but with also a good degree of exploration and freedom permitted. Also one other thing is to add more detail and life to the setting. You guys did a great job making Shapeir seem so much more alive and vibrant. Touches like including katta citizens walkings around, shops and trash and worn out doors, decor and such through the alleyways made it feel much more like a city than some gloomy old place. That's what I'm talking about here.

I guess maybe using GTA as an example wasn't a good idea.