Starting another QfG fangame, better late then never

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Starting another QfG fangame, better late then never

#26 Post by Brainiac » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Arestes is not the former Chief Thief as far as I know. He merely runs the Guild's shop. As far as his arm goes, I believe a Paladin is the only one that got Julanar to help him. He says he'll work off his debt (societal or monetary - I'm not sure which; possibly both) in thanks afterward, but again, that's only for Paladins. For Thieves, he runs the shop, as I said, as well as the Chief Thief contest. You show him the Blackbird if you properly retrieved it and he apparently confirms it's the real deal, clinching you the title of Chief Thief. As to what he does after the events of Dragon Fire, I have no idea.

Jack of All Trades
Peasant Status

#27 Post by Jack of All Trades » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:30 pm

So, does he keep the blackbird or does the hero keep the blackbird?

Labrynian Rebel
Peasant Status

#28 Post by Labrynian Rebel » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:55 pm

Jack of All Trades wrote: I still haven't decided on where the best place to have a pirate game would be. A larger world map would be a must though. I'm toying around with seeing more of the Med Sea and possibly revisiting a little bit of Silmaria, although I need to do more research on the area first.
How about the Azure Sea? Then you don't have to worry about breaking already established canon with QFGV and all. If you talk to one of the Liontaur guards in QFGIII about Tarna, they say it's eastern boundry is the Azure Sea, so therefore the Arabian Sea or Indian Ocean is the real-life equivalent. Plus Madagascar was once a huge pirate hideout, though you might want to call it something differant, like Malagasy, because that's what it's labled as on older maps, just an idea. In addition to this: since there would definantly be some pirates from Inja in that region, it could easily play into the next game. But then again talking about the next game is getting a little ahead of oneself, but I guess you have to if you want the series to fit together nicely. :D

Jack of All Trades
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Jack of All Trades » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:23 am

Yeah, but information on pirate locations would be great. The arabian sea may be perfect.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#30 Post by Brainiac » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Jack of All Trades wrote:So, does he keep the blackbird or does the hero keep the blackbird?
As I recall, Arestes holds on to it as proof of your victory in the Chief Thief contest (I'm not sure about that). Regardless, I'd imagine that as Chief Thief, the Hero would get the blackbird as the jewel of his private collection. He's not paying to be Chief Thief, after all.

Jack of All Trades
Peasant Status

#31 Post by Jack of All Trades » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:55 pm

That's how I see things as well.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#32 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:58 pm

Four of them, eh? I love the cojones on this guy.

Bt

Jack of All Trades
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Jack of All Trades » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:10 pm

If I can get enough dedicated guys behind me, I can create four games. I'm not planning them all at once but I'd like to have a general direction in mind. As a writer, I think it would be great to make four different games. I don't expect to have the same team stay with me on all four games for free. Although, if I can get a single game out, I bet new artists and programmers would love to jump on board for sequels. Creating a hit freeware game probably looks great on a resume.

I'm hoping for the best and trying to make the best game possible and that means planning ahead for sequels.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#34 Post by Klytos » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:16 am

Jack of All Trades wrote:Although, if I can get a single game out, I bet new artists and programmers would love to jump on board for sequels. Creating a hit freeware game probably looks great on a resume.
You'd think that. It's doesn't happen though.

There is no way I'd ever consider making a QFG style game. I mean, that's what Infamous Adventures started off doing, but we got into remakes for the same reason AGDI / Tierra got into KQ1 and KQ2. Practice for a more complicated game. Screw working with stats and a fighting engine, let alone three / four separate classes with their own individual side quests and ways of doing things.

I really look forward to seeing your game. I should be about 40 by then. ;)

Jack of All Trades
Peasant Status

#35 Post by Jack of All Trades » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:48 pm

Hey, give me some credit. You'll be 39 when my game comes out.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#36 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:43 pm

I hate to sound negative, but if you tell a professional artist that something will look good on their resume they'll probably laugh at you. When it comes to an artists portfolio, it doesn't matter if the source was a hit or a flop, the quality of work is all that matters.
Sure a game is a neat way to present all your hard work, but most employers probably wont care. Hey it's probably quite the feather in the cap of programmers though!

All in all it sounds interesting, I wish you the best of luck. Getting and keeping the attention of a group of volunteer artists and animators will be quite the feat. Too many potiential developers don't understand what it takes to animate, let alone animate something well.
I don't know how many times have I had people ask for a short flash animation and then cringe when I tell them how much those five minutes would cost. The invoice for my last freelance job was $910.00, this was for 1 minute and 5 seconds of animation at a low rate of $14.00/second. Most animators would have turned up their noses for any professional gig below $20.00/second.
I don't want to discourage you, I just want you to be prepared. I do hope your project works out the way you want and I'd love to see the final product, just don't be to surprised if animators aren't throwing themselves at the chance to join.

Jack of All Trades
Peasant Status

#37 Post by Jack of All Trades » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:14 pm

Several people have requested that we use a higher resolution than 320x200. I almost always respond with "Absolutely, we can use whatever resolution you'd like. When would you like to get started?"

People, seem to forget the huge commitment something like this takes. I know what we are getting into, its why I always ask people if they can see themselves making this a side project for the next few years. I'm trying balance between keeping things as simple as possible and making an epic game. I'm writing the most basic content first and then expanding things as I go along. The point system muddles things up a bit, but no bother.

Labrynian Rebel
Peasant Status

#38 Post by Labrynian Rebel » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:14 am

The thing about having a low resolution is that I think it would make animation a lot more easier, less pixels to keep track of so to speak. Plus with a QFG fangame you can get away with it because it's "with the style"

Just my two cents, take it or leave it

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#39 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:33 am

He speaks the truth, and gives words of wisdom.

Bt

Alliance
Knight Status

#40 Post by Alliance » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Yep, nothing wrong with doing an already overdone style in adventure gaming. Everyone else is drinking the kool-aid!

moxicity
Peasant Status

#41 Post by moxicity » Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey, what's become of this thing? Is it still going on, am I missing a new thread? Anyway... just in case, I wanted to say, if you can pull a dream like this off, it would be an epic life's work. The best of luck!