Graphic Practice

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Zahmatra(n)
Peasant Status

Graphic Practice

#1 Post by Zahmatra(n) » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:56 pm

A long time ago, I posted a question about how to create sierra style backgrounds. Since then, I have seen several links posted to tutorials. However, with my old job, I had very little time to play around with it.

Now, with a new job, I have a little more time for spare, I wanted to give a try and start drawing some graphics for a game. I bought a tablet yesterday night and tried with this tutorial: http://www.corbydesigns.com/forest/index.html.

I am not good at artwork, but I did not even get close to the final image from the tutorial.
Is anyone around who can give me some tips or help to make it better? (I am using a genius G-Pen M712 and Photoshop CS4)

PS: [Edited] Thanks Musically Inspired I got the image showing.

Last edited by Zahmatra(n) on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Graphic Practice

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:58 pm

As to the picture-in-posts, You can attach files to your post but the picture won't show. You'd have to click on it. You'd have to upload it somewhere and encase the URL in the [img][/img] tags.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Graphic Practice

#3 Post by DrJones » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:14 am

I would gladly help, but I'm a bit in a hurry now. Actually, your work isn't that bad, but it surely could be made better if you know the little tricks of graphic illustration and by exercising your spatial vision and your grip (these last two can only be done by drawing a lot). Ideally, you also get to learn the little tricks by trying to draw something and failing horribly. Then, next time you see a photo/picture depicting what you tried to draw you'll know where you have to look.

Knowing where to look in a painting also requires a bit of training, but it's the most useful trait you could acquire in this field. :p

The background would had looked better if proper perspective had been layed before drawing, but in graphic adventures it's not that important because sprites don't move according to perspective, either. One "trick" that helps defining distances is to use a lighter palette for distant objects. The more distant, the paler the colors. Right now, your picture looks as if everything were equally closer, except the tree.

The color of the foliage also can look better if you don't surround all the borders in black. If you look at the tutorial, the side from which the "light source" strikes has no shadows. You only get shadows around all the surface if the "light source" is inside the leaves.

Finally, when you do those "big strokes" before blurring the surfaces, you have to apply the strong yellows and whites in the parts where the light would illuminate the surface. Think of pyramids, spheres and planes. This requires a bit of practice, because if you put the lights wrong it will look very weird. Sometimes I have to fix them afterwards because I put them backwards. :lol

Hope these small directions help you. ;)