Something I've been working on (HL2 Map)

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Something I've been working on (HL2 Map)

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:19 am

Thought I'd take up Half-Life 2 mapping. I'm attempting to recreate the underground caverns of Kerona from Space Quest I. No where near finished yet. Most of my time has been put into duplicating that geyser/rock/door puzzle. After a lot of work, trial and error, and help I managed to get it right. Take a gander:

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

Re: Something I've been working on (HL2 Map)

#2 Post by pbpb33 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:00 am

Excellent work!! I have no idea what is involved in this mapping (no techie here), but I recognize all the parts from SQ1, a game I recently completed. Are you going to be able to create the tentacle creature or the dripping green goo? I notice you even got the sound perfectly re-created. Are there any recent fan-made adventure games with that same engine?

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:29 am

I heard there's something called Garry's Mod, I wonder if it would be easier to do the mapping with that tool, but I don't know.

MusicallyInspired

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Not if you want to do it properly. You just have more freedom with mapping with Hammer.

And no, there are no other Sierra remakes in the Source engine as far as I know. There is a classic P&C adventure game made with the Source engine called Shantytown. If you own Half-Life 2 or the Source SDK in your Steam account, you can download and play it for free. I never got very far, but it was interesting to see that a classic adventure concept/interface is indeed possible with Source. I'm not going to take that direction, I'm just making a nostalgic map. Also, there was a complete Space Quest 1 remake being made with the Doom 3 engine years ago but the guy abandoned it. Pictures are still floating around the net, though.

JBeast42
Peasant Status

#5 Post by JBeast42 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:04 pm

As a fan of both Space Quest and Half Life, I say well done! This looks like a great mod! If you ever make the full game like this, I'd be the first to play it!

MusicallyInspired

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:15 pm

Thanks. I've made progress since then but haven't had time to work on it for a couple weeks now. And now with MI2:SE being released tomorrow I surely won't have the time ;).