Quest for Glory Formula

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

Quest for Glory Formula

#1 Post by Klytos » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:56 am

I've got my nephew playing Quest for Glory, because he's been staying with me and my wife for a few days and he's driving me insane with those stupid games on his X-Box. My god they are just rubbish (except for Justice League, that was pretty good). Anyway, I decided he should do something that would work his brain not just his trigger finger. And the little chump is right into QFG1 (the "real" version, in all it's EGA glory!)

So he asks me, how do the statistics work? In particular, how does weapon use correspond to actually attacking a monster? I told him the little bit I knew but it got me thinking about the game. Picking locks, sneaking etc, they're all pretty simple. If player is good enough he'll pick the lock, if he isn't he'll gain a little experience but won't pick the lock.

Anyway, I thought, with the wealth of QFG2 experience here, I'd see if anyone had some ideas. How do the stats effect the battles?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Quest for Glory Formula

#2 Post by Erpy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:45 pm

When striking your opponent in combat, the damage done is determined by STRENGTH (divided by a multiplier), a random number and the strength of your weapon. A broadsword obviously has a slightly higher weapon strength than a dagger. Before being applied to the enemy's hitpoints, the opponent's armor value is subtracted from this resulting damage value. Chainmail has a higher armor value than Leather, obviously. This principle applies to both the hero and the opponents. Each opponent has his own armor value that you don't get to see.

Your attack accuracy is a weighed average of the following stats:

INTELLIGENCE
LUCK
STRENGTH (weighs twice as much as INTELLIGENCE or LUCK)
AGILITY (weighs twice as much as STRENGTH)
WEAPON USE (weighs twice as much as AGILITY)

In other words, your attack factor is determined for 50% by your weapon use and for 50% by the rest. (so kinda like I + L + 2xS + 4xA + 8xW)/16.

The combattant being attacked also has an evade factor which is a weighed average of:

LUCK
INTELLIGENCE (weighs twice as much as LUCK)
AGILITY (weighs 5 times as much as LUCK)

So that would be like (L + 2xI + 5xA)/8.

When attacking an idle opponent, the chance of hitting him/her/it is the attacker's attack factor minus the defender's evade factor plus a certain fixed number to make sure it's always between 20 and 80%. If it's lower or higher than those values, it gets rounded down or up to those numbers.

If the defender is currently in a dodge motion, a bonus is added to the evade factor which is (AGILITY + DODGING)/5.

If the defender is currently blocking, a bonus is added to the evade factor which is shield value + (AGILITY + PARRY)/10. If the defender is carrying a shield while a blocking motion is made, a bonus is given. Otherwise, it'll be 0.

As you can see, even though it doesn't add to your damage factor or hp total, agility is a surprisingly dominating stat in combat.

Each enemy has its own sheet of stats (like STRENGTH, LUCK, PARRY etc), that the player never gets to see, as well as a weapon strength and armor strength, so all values here are calculated the same for the enemies as they are for the hero.

This isn't how QFG2VGA is set up, btw. There's no defense factor for one...if someone attacks and the other guy isn't moving or blocking, the attack never misses since I thought that looked kind of unrealistic. The defense formula is kind of used in determining whether an opponent blocks/dodges your attack, although the opponent's current "pattern" also heavily factors into this. Damage calculation was also heavily tweaked, since QFG2VGA has many different kind of attacks that do different amounts of damage. Dodging/parrying skill is also used to determine whether the hero does a real or a "failed" block/sidestep motion. Critters in QFG2VGA don't have stat sheets...simply fixed numbers, most of those you can see in the warrior's diary.

Klytos

#3 Post by Klytos » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Now the task of explaining all that to a 12 year old kid!

Lambonius
Knight Status

#4 Post by Lambonius » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:36 am

Wow. If we ever go back and take a crack at Quest for Infamy, we need to remember this post.

Klytos

#5 Post by Klytos » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:27 am

I've always thought QFI would have a more "Betrayal at Krondor" / RPG style combat to it. Maybe that was just me though.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by AGP » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:31 pm

As long as we're discussing the numbers, how many points did it cost to add a new skill in character creation? I thought it was 5 points to add 5 to an existing, 10 points to add 5 to a new one (but with that formula even the fighter can have all the skills). Was it 15 for 5?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:56 pm

It was 10 points to add a new skill + the actual points added, so adding a stat not native to your class uses 15 points. (10 to add the skill and 5 to change the stat value from 0 to 5)

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by AGP » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:27 am

Thanks a lot.

Beacon80
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Beacon80 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:19 am

I'm wondering if anybody can tell me the formula the Quest for Glory games use for skill checks and growth.

I mean, if I tell my hero to climb a tree. How does it determine if he succeeds, and what determines if/when/how much his Agility or Climbing skills increase?